Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now it\'s my turn to what is needed for this Hp??

242whp to the ground and remember I do have the ATX and would run a chip. This of course is 242whp N/A. Thanks

[ 01-02-2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: zetecinside ]

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Re: Ok, now it\'s my turn to what is needed for this Hp??

why 242? why not 240 or 245? my guess would be a lot of $$$ if you were going NA.

I'd build a whole new engine for something like that personally. i'm no expert, but i'd say that just the bolt ons, even cams, isn't going to do it.

if i were trying for that kind of power with our motors i'd just go turbo. You're really going to waste your money otherwise. you could either build one awesome ($$$$$$) new NA motor with tons of work ($$$$$$$) or you could just buy a nice turbo kit and hit those numbers with what you already have.

Nate

·
Registered
213 Posts

I would sugest putting a svt contour engine in. with boltons and head work you can get a 165whp n/a. the lil 4cyl can only do so much. since you;d be pulling the engine out anyways for a rebuild why not put something [email protected]$$ in it

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts

Alex,

Focus Central has done 205whp with all bolt ons, headwork, cams and standalone.

Doing 40whp more than that on an Auto wouldn't be possible if you wanted to keep streetability or any cash in your pocket.

also you need to remember about the driveline loss, if FC did 205whp with a manual with an Auto(assuming it has been built to handle it)will only pull about 185-190whp because of the 10-15% more loss.

If you want high numbers like mentioned, please swap in a manual, it will make things much easier!

Not saying it isn't possible, anything is with enough money.

- Drew

[ 01-02-2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: focusownerskid ]

·
Registered
321 Posts

Originally posted by zetecinside:
242whp to the ground and remember I do have the ATX and would run a chip. This of course is 242whp N/A. Thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey man have you done anything to your auto tranny?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Originally posted by SuperchargedSPI:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by zetecinside:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey man have you done anything to your auto tranny?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nope not yet. I am working on some ideas first.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts

well, FIRST you'd need new internals for your transmission, they are quite weak, and die quickly, THEN, you'd probably want a shift kit to keep those new internals from slipping too much, and if you're going to be doing much drag racing, then a torque converter is also probably due...

THEN your quickest route would be a turbo kit, probably not the Aerocharger as the stage 3 kit is flow limited to about 200hp, SO, that leads one to believe that you would need a kit such as Toms, or something along those lines, witha competent fuel solution, like the MIC, AND for that hp, probably a smaller turbo....since your goals arnt huge, no need for a T3/T4 hybrid or a T3 or anything like that, stick to a T25 IMO...

but then again, I don't know jack

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

1) Lots and LOTS of headwork... oversize valves, backcut.
2) Custom intake manifold(s), preferably with four throttle bodies and appropriate linkage
3) Header
4) Stand alone ECU
5) Appropriate fuel pump/lines for ECU
5) Built bottom end with lots of compression... say 12:1 or more.
6) Really big cams
7) 110 Octane Unleaded.

That ought to do it.

·
Registered
489 Posts

2) Custom intake manifold(s), preferably with four throttle bodies and appropriate linkage
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">HELL YEAH! And put some sweet ass holes in the hood to show them off, and REALLY let them breathe!!!!!! $$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
138 Posts

242 whould not be such a big deal if u had better people making better parts. focus parts nedd a lot of work before they get the most out of the zetec. in a year are so it maybe can be done if the parts are better but for now the parts are not there to have 242whp N/A

·
Registered
201 Posts

well first of if you want n/a power it will cost you.
242 horsepower your going to have to rev the engine to 8,000rpm or so. but other than that here it goes

lots of headwork (bigger valves the whole 9 yards)

higher compression say 12.1 (don't forget your compression ratio on the pistion is not your true compression at t.d.c) water injection may help prevent detno. I seem to remeber turbotom saying it didn't help their n/a project. That however was long ago

increase in displacment
I know crower and esslinger do make crankshafts to your specs but that will cost like 3grand on its own (rough estimate. was my plan when i first got the focus. Now i waiting on the duratec)

standalone ecu

other things like intake manifold and one hell of a intake system. Along with all the bolt ons

remeber n/a power is all about getting more air in their thats the tough part

later chris

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

Originally posted by Phillip:
Yank the Zetec out and sell it. Replace with 2.3 Duratec. 245+ NA
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well.. that would be a start, but there is still lots of work to be done in that department.

Truthfully, you can make ANY twin cam four put out that kind of power with the right work.... but don't expect any degree of streetability unless it is from those guys with the "H" logo... and even then, don't expect any low end grunt.

As an example, we have a 305hp NA GM four banger at home.... but it uses 110 octane unleaded to cope with the 13:1 compression.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts

Originally posted by PGZX3:
well, FIRST you'd need new internals for your transmission, they are quite weak, and die quickly, THEN, you'd probably want a shift kit to keep those new internals from slipping too much, and if you're going to be doing much drag racing, then a torque converter is also probably due...

THEN your quickest route would be a turbo kit, probably not the Aerocharger as the stage 3 kit is flow limited to about 200hp, SO, that leads one to believe that you would need a kit such as Toms, or something along those lines, witha competent fuel solution, like the MIC, AND for that hp, probably a smaller turbo....since your goals arnt huge, no need for a T3/T4 hybrid or a T3 or anything like that, stick to a T25 IMO...

but then again, I don't know jack
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">He said NA.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts

Yank the Zetec out and sell it. Replace with 2.3 Duratec. 245+ NA

I'm conviced anyone wanting to make serious power *NA* will be swapping for the 2.3. It's head beats the pants off the Zetec. It's bottom is stronger and it's a lighter engine.

It's going to be a win win swap.

[ 01-03-2003, 12:21 PM: Message edited by: Phillip ]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

So for the best in engine mods is to go w/ the 2.3liter duratec,hmmm. Not a bad idea. I had not even thought about this engine. I still have some things that I am working on and have not come up w/ a Final Answer as of yet. Thanks gang for the info. and especially to my bro Drew. Thanks

·
Registered
3,601 Posts

What size is that GM four? How much $$$?

To me, it seems a waste of time and money tryin' to pump up a Zetec to 240+ hp NA. So far, everyone is blowing (as in turbocharging
) the motor to get 200+ on the ground. So, what does it cost to put down 240 hp NA with a Zetec?

The Duratec is several steps ahead by the fact it has a good flowing head from the get-go plus you save about 40 lbs on weight. Low end torque will be better too. Bottom is stronger from what I understand...could be wrong though.

Now, if he was already invested in Zetec ($$) parts, it be a different story. But I am assuming he's stock at the moment.

I'm hoping to be swapped over to a 2.3 by mid summer.

Anyhow, food for thought.

edited for too many too's

[ 01-04-2003, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Phillip ]

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

Originally posted by Phillip:
What size is that GM four? How much $$$?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">2.3L (Quad Four)... No idea on the price, but the head alone is probably worth big bucks, because it is a leftover from GM's IMSA program.

But back on topic... I have my doubts about the streetability of such motors... Ours sure wouldn't last a week on the street... maybe less.

I'm definately curious about the upcoming Duratec, but I'm not yet convinced that it is the miracle motor that many people seem to think it is.... But if it delivers, I'll be very happy.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts

As long as time is on your side most of our question *should* be answered over the next few months.

I'm guessing, but when Ford starts selling this motor in the Focus the parts for the swap should be pretty easy.

As far as the Duratec, doesn't this engine already have a slew of racing time under it belt?

I've seen web sites with them for sale (NA for racing) that look great.

more info at http://www.duratecperformance.com/

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Can someone tell me if the 2.3 liter duratec is going to work w/ the stock ATX or does the ATX need to be modded to work w/ 2.3 liter???

·
Registered
518 Posts

I dont think that kind of horsepower on an automatic is very feasible.. The rpm range would probably be sub 10000 but probably not sub 9000... which means your torque is way up there.. And your torque converter is going to have to be somewhat matched to your torque to keep you from bogging everytime you move the car. A manuel you could do but... without like a variable... torque converter or somehting i just dont think you could make an auto streetable with the torque range like it would be.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts