Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is on a SVT Focus....with about 11k miles on it

customer that posts here (newbe40) and bought the car at my dealer (www.buyford.com)

says he heard a slight ticking noise in the motor and couldn't figure it out, I then stated it could be the cam timing just lopeing over similar to the way all the SVT's sound. But the noise was similar than that but instead a-lot louder...

SO he brought it in to service and they pulled the head etc....They said the cams were worn (which they were) and the cylinder walls were PITTED!!!!!! AND not only that Ford won't cover it under warranty cause he has Focus Central pulley kit and due to that he over revved the motor.
Now Newbe40 doesn't drive the car THAT hard...WTF is with SVT and the build quality? I suggested he talk to someone else so he is supposed to meet with the Ford regional serv. mgr next week sometime.

But the question is, has any other SVT owners had this problem? Why has this happened? Does it sound like my service dept is trying to make extra $?

·
Registered
42 Posts
sounds like someone in your service dept. is really trying to rip this kid off... sounds like a good case of non-consentual ass sex witout the common courtesy of a reach around.. i took my car to the dealer with something like 8+ codes on the scanner, with the pulleys, intake and exhaust etc. and they took care of me no problem. Fords always got this better idea about things... and it seems like this time it might have just blown up in theyre faces.... sound like one mighta just come off the assy. line totally f'd up... well maybe more than 1. i cant say that ive been completely happy with the purchace of my fine automobile... but then again i been whoopin the piss outta mine since the day i got my hands on it (.3 mi. sounds about right for proper clutch break in dont you think?) and mine just went out yesterday... but to have the cylinder walls pitted and the cams worn.... sounds like a crappy choice/batch of the raw material from the begining

but then again im just a rookie... not a "team member" so you dont necessarily have to take this to heart

·
Registered
359 Posts
Here ya go. Show this to the dealer and tell them to kiss your ass. Moss Act The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Federal Trade commission Improvement Act of 1975. Enjoy

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
i dont have an svt, but i do have a ticking noise and i was planning on taking my head off and checking the valve lash and stuff some day!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I don't see how pulleys have anytihng to do with this issue. I know for a fact that unless you did anything internal or a chip. They have to fix it no matter what. My fuel pump went out at like 7500 miles they looked at my car and said it was b/c of the cai. I told them how does my cai make my fuel pump not pump fuel they will fix it and they did fix it. Dopn't worry man they are just trying to do what they normally do get over on ya.

Just my .02

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
The lesson to be learnerd here is always try to remove your mods before taking you car to the stealership. I understand some can't due to the nature of the part but it's alot easier with these people who consider their involvement the absolute last resort to fixing a problem.

As far as cam and head issues go, I'm well versed in these and how MotherFord likes to handle them. Pick up any recent Autoweek magazine or Detroit Free Press and you will see a nice little article about my other car, a GenIII SHO ( the V8 kind ) and how there is a definite cam problem that not only has Ford known about for YEARS, but is chossing to ignore.

Here's where you are lucky, Ford still makes engines for your cars, as well as parts. If my G3 motor goes tomorrow, and they try to deny my ESP, I'll be looking at an engine replacement cost of anywhere from $6,000-$15,000. And this is IF a replacement engine can be found. V8 SHOs have been seeing higher theft rates because the cost of the engine is so high. There have been 147 cases of this documented on v8sho.com alone.

The problem is fixed ( outside of Ford, of course. ) for as little as $500.00. The touble is, there are a handful of places around the country that can do this fix so most of us must drive a thousand or so miles just to turn our once-$30,000 luxo-performing Ford flagship models into driveable cars instead of waiting time-bombs again.

I'll say this, I only bought this car because of the free interest and below invoice price. If this car was still going for retail with no finance specials, I'd be driving a different brand.

I'm realy hoping that the letters S-V-T don't share the same fate as S-H-O. But consider yourselves lucky that you drive a car that Ford doesn't actually ignore, like it does with the SHO, I've had dealerships actually TELL me they aren't qualified to work on my car, what kind of crap is that? Thankfully, my car has been rock solid with no issues to speak of, but how would you feel if you were afraid to drive your car and the company who built it doesn't give a rat's smelly patootie how you feel?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
My mother's Cobra blew a motor, and the dealership gave us the EXACT SAME ****! She has underdrive pullies, and they claimed the motor spun a bearing because the accessory drive was going too fast. She called their bluff, and SVT sent her a brand new crate motor.

Funny that they gave her crap for the UDPs, but they didn't have anything to say about the long-tube headers and the live rear axle sitting in place of the IRS.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I don't see how they can claim that the motor was overrevved-the pulley doesn't make it run more rpm's. I mean, there's a rev limiter for that! That' not to say the motor was not abused but how can Ford tell that from just the pulley kit?

·
Registered
15 Posts
The reason a dealership tries to deny warrantty claims is for money. When a dealership does warrantty work they make no money on parts and minimal on labor. Customer work gets charged full price for parts and labor. Now im not saying all dealerships are crooked but watch your back some people will do anything for money.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
How the "f" do you "over-rev" a motor with a rev-limiter? The pully is not in any way related to the cams being worn, nor is it related to the pitting. Without any correlation (cause and effect) to the FC pully and the parts in question, this kid should be helped. Period.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Originally posted by Focusracer1:
Here ya go. Show this to the dealer and tell them to kiss your ass. Moss Act The Magnusson-Moss Warranty Federal Trade commission Improvement Act of 1975. Enjoy
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Worked for me. They quit screwing me real quick.
Phocuszx3! Your mom has UDP's. That's cool as hell.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don't understand how/why denying your repair benifits the dealership? why go out of their way to do it? (exp. looking for underdrive pullies for a cam/head problem). I can understand a dealer questioning a totally fixed up car (supercharger headwork, yada yada) but for most of the minor mods we do I don't see a problem? I could actually see a chip that raised the rev limiter or something but some of the dealerships I am hearing about, it just doesn't make sense? I owned 2 Bullitt Mustangs and had the tranny rebuilt a total of 3 times between 20K miles on the both of them combined and I never got even a question or accusation of anything. I got a phone call that said this and this is broke we need the car 4 days and we should have the parts in withing 2 days. sorry for your inconvince Mr. SteveO. And that is what I expect and demand as a customer. So how do these places stay open?

·
Registered
75 Posts
It IS possible to over-rev a motor by down shifting too far at high speeds. For example shift into second at 90 mph and your rpms will be mechanically forced to around 10,000, and your engine go bye-bye. I don’t see a single over-speed causing this damage though.

That said, this is a dealership trying to make extra money. Some dealerships, as a rule will AUTOMATICALY deny any warranty claim on a car that has been modified. (Especially when the claim involves the powertrain.) Say Magnusson-Moss, and the repairs magically happen without complaint.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts