Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, everone prepare to let out a moan and shouts of "How can you be so stuipd"

Here's a dumb question.

How do you keep the valves from falling into the combustion chamber when you're replacing springs and retainers?

Right now I'm a bit stuck on rather if I should get Crower Stage 2 or Crane Stage 2, but it doesnt matter right now cause I'm not planning to get that stuff for another year or two.

But this always bugs me cause it'll be a big waste of time to take off the head to install the springs. And you can just put a spring compressor tool in their cause the valve will just fall right through, unless there is a special spring compressor tool out there.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Re: Okay, everone prepare to let out a moan and shouts of "How can you be so stuipd"

Air pressure.

With most engines, you can screw in an adapter, and fill the cylinder (while in the compression or power stroke) with air. With the right amount of pressure, the valves will stay up.

Of course, a mistake or a leak will leave a valve in the cylinder.

[ 11-10-2002, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Egz ]

·
Registered
826 Posts
Re: Okay, everone prepare to let out a moan and shouts of "How can you be so stuipd"

It would be easier to take the head off.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts

Originally posted by nader6972:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...if you work at focus central.

·
Registered
602 Posts

I read about an install where they fed nylon rope through the spark-plug hole to fill the cylinder. May be worth trying (when the engine is completely cool).

·
Registered
542 Posts

Originally posted by w00w00:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by nader6972:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...if you work at focus central.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No, not just if you work at Focus central, it isn't a very difficult job. If you are installing valvetrain such as springs and retainers, pulling the head isn't going to be much more work.

·
Registered
95 Posts

the only problem with phil's way is you need the valve seat to be against the head so you can actually get the retainer and clips back on the valve stem with the spring in place. I did a valvetrain change on my old V8 by taking both heads off in the car. not a whole lot of work, just a little difficult getting the heavy iron heads out of the engine compartment.

·
Registered
104 Posts

You do 2 cylinders at once, ie 1&4 2&3, while Cl 1 is at TDC, the valve cant drop down into the clinder, because the valve will just rest on the piston crown. Move Cyl2 to TDC to do the center two clinders if ya get me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts