Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Giveen 2.0 - I might be retarded
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the VA doctor yesterday and discovered I was an old man. High bad cholesterol, oddly low sodium, and I need to lose 30 pounds. I am going to miss my wife fettecini Alfredo. Next week I have to start on a hour a day workout and cut out almost all starches and fatty foods. Sadness.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
You should see about getting a prescription for medicine to lower your cholesterol. Along with proper diet and physical fitness the medicine could help your heart from being damaged.

·
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the doctor has me on 500mg of Naicin a day, and I have to cut out a lot of foods and I have to start an hour of working out every day :(

·
Wanna touch my tots?
6,805 Posts
What have you decided? Running is pretty awesome and it's not difficult with the right regimen and good form. That last part is what has been holding me back for weeks now (I started back up again)

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
Running sucks, Just my opinion.

Get a bike and ride the wheels off it, it's great low impact excercise and you can even use it to commute if the ride is decent. Indoor trainers and excercise bikes are relatively inexpensive or free on Craigslist quite often as well.

BTW-What happened with your new bike Potatoes?

·
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a treadmill, and I"m using that, but there is a great 24/7 gym I will be joining that is $10 a month. Its a small place, with free weights, weight machines, and aerobic machines (ellipticals and treadmills).

Just did 43 minutes on the treadmill this morning, pooped. I can't run, I have bad knees. Doctor said brisk walking is best for me.

·
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, thats the plan. I spent my morning watching Conan the Barbarian (the old one) and walking at 3.5mph :)

·
Wanna touch my tots?
6,805 Posts
I have a treadmill, and I"m using that, but there is a great 24/7 gym I will be joining that is $10 a month. Its a small place, with free weights, weight machines, and aerobic machines (ellipticals and treadmills).

Just did 43 minutes on the treadmill this morning, pooped. I can't run, I have bad knees. Doctor said brisk walking is best for me.
That means you gotta work up your knees. Don't go bat **** insane the first time. That's retarded. You're going to burn out and won't be able to handle it AND cause yourself injury. Unless that is what you want to do subconsciously. Is fail. I don't like to fail but to each their own I guess.

Take your health seriously. If there's a god he's not going to be too keen on you being lazy and fat. Something about wanting you to do good by others and yourself.

Running sucks, Just my opinion.

BTW-What happened with your new bike Potatoes?
Bah hum boogies. Running is best :D. Though my back is killing me so I need to ice it and stay off of it for awhile. Hopefully by Wed I can get back into the groove.

The bike is great but I haven't ridden it in awhile. I'm focusing on running right now but I'll be getting into biking again sometime in October when it starts to cool down. Hopefully.

·
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That means you gotta work up your knees. Don't go bat **** insane the first time. That's retarded. You're going to burn out and won't be able to handle it AND cause yourself injury. Unless that is what you want to do subconsciously. Is fail. I don't like to fail but to each their own I guess.

Take your health seriously. If there's a god he's not going to be too keen on you being lazy and fat. Something about wanting you to do good by others and yourself.
I have a degenerative knee disease. So if I pound my joints (as in running) or stand for a long time, they start to ache or cause pain to shot up my leg. My knees crackle and sometimes my knee "collapses" and my weight gives a bit.

·
Wanna touch my tots?
6,805 Posts
In situations of disturbed joint mechanics (e.g., genu varus), hyaline cartilage degeneration can occur depending on the degree of external demand. Articular cartilage possesses a very high tolerance for mechanical loading and can tolerate stresses up to but not below 25 n/m2. Most athletic physical activities, such as running, trigger articular surface stresses in the range of 4 to 9 n/m2. With severe single impact loads, insult to the chondrocyte and/or matrix will prompt initial blistering of the joint surface. If the mechanical disturbance is not rectified, then progressive joint surface fissuring, followed by erosion, can occur. (Ref: Buckwalter JA, Mankin HJ. Articular Cartilage 11: Degeneration and osteoarthritis, repair, regeneration, and transplantation. JBJS 79A: 612-632, 1997.)
What I said already. Don't go nutty your first time.

I'm not gonna quote it all you can just read it and talk to your doctor, of course, but basically with all athletics you can always force your body to rebuild better and stronger. It's the amazing part of this ****ty and overly complicated machine we call our bodies. So if you start small (a brisk walk at 2.5 onthe treadmill) you'll start training your body for the pain. Otherwise what you did last night or w/e you shocked your body and there is a lot of repairs it needs to make. Start small, with everything, and work your way up until you can handle that. You'd be surprised how this arthritis will be less of an issue down the line. You won't be cured but it will be less inflamed.

Link to my citation: http://www.isakos.com/innovations/degknee.aspx

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
You should see about getting a prescription for medicine to lower your cholesterol. Along with proper diet and physical fitness the medicine could help your heart from being damaged.
IMO medicine should always be a last resort. First one needs to change their habits, then if the problem is still there consider medicine. All pills do is mask your problem, not cure it.

Ajax, do a 10 minute warm up (walking on the treadmill) then do about 30 minutes of weights. Do lower weight with higher reps, 3 sets of 12-15 reps. Then finish it off with the 40 minute cardio on the bike or eliptical.

·
Wanna touch my tots?
6,805 Posts
IMO medicine should always be a last resort. First one needs to change their habits, then if the problem is still there consider medicine. All pills do is mask your problem, not cure it.

Ajax, do a 10 minute warm up (walking on the treadmill) then do about 30 minutes of weights. Do lower weight with higher reps, 3 sets of 12-15 reps. Then finish it off with the 40 minute cardio on the bike or eliptical.
Everything this dude said.

We are a lazy nation all around. Our first inclination to do to "fix" a problem is to use surgery or medicine. Anything that we can pay away but that is just a wrapper, sorry for the programmer speak, around the original problem. Fix the core problem the way that your core requires you to do it. Work out and eat right. Those two things will fix most your ailments.

·
Registered
19,113 Posts
I've had knee problems since I was a teenager, that's why biking is perfect for me.

Two years ago a four mile ride would wipe me out, This last Saturday my son and I did 24 miles with some big hills on a nice path down by the Mississippi and afterwards I was barely tired and probably could have done another 24 if I'd had the time.

Obviously everyone is different but running is an absolute no-no for me.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts

·
Almost choked on a Girl Scout ...cookie
16,227 Posts
Obviously everyone is different but running is an absolute no-no for me.
Me too... too many years of basketball for three hours a day.

Plus, ogres and giants have bad knees.

Also aJax... you are not an "old man"... you are unhealthy and out of shape.
Nearly twice your age, and I'm not old either. :p

·
Registered
5,333 Posts

Note that I stated medicine with proper diet and physical fitness training. I don't think medicine is a cure all but there is lots of good things happening in medicine to help slow down and prevent heart disease. I think going to see a Dr. and getting good treatment plan along with good medicine can help prevent heart disease.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts