Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying a Omni GLH turbo, 100k milage, runs perfect, no rust, perfect interior, exterior is original but paint is badly sun burned. I looked it over last night a third party person who is a friend of mine said it is a 1983. I checked the web last night and doubt that as it seams 1985 was the first year of the turbo. It is black, has Turbo on the rear hatch, and has a honey comb frong grill. It also has that 4sp, level, 4 more gear box. The question I have is do you know what year this is and if there are any concerns I should have? Also he thought it was a 1.8ltr, does that make sense? Thanks

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I'm sure Omnifocus on here can answer your question specifically.

What I can tell you is that there is a lot of "fakes" running around. People dressed up their Omni to appear to be a GLH. PErsonally I have seen 2 in my limited exposure of actually knowing what they were.

Does this car have a plate on the front right dash with the Car number and shelby's signiture? I *thought* they all had that. Those are fairly hard to come by when doing a mock up car.

Goodluck.

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,I PM'd Omnifocus just before this post. It's not the GLHS, Shelby model, I guess which gets the plate your talking about. I'm pretty confident it's a original GLH. I'm going back tonight to look again, just thought someone here may have some insight on what it is and what to look for.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Only the GLHS cars were plaqued. The rest are easy to fake. 85 was the first year for the turbo. They were all 2.2's then. If all the peices are there, side skirts, front air dam etc, it shouldn't really matter if it's real or it's a clone. As far as collectability, they don't have much and the real one's don't seem to be worth any more than a fake.
If you were talking GLHS, now that's a different story, but for a GLH, just buy a car you like.

·
Banned
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it's probably a 1985 and definetly a 2.2ltr. Thats cool better than a 1.8ltr. Does anyone know a good website for performance parts? By the way I'm getting this car for next to nothing, not sure if I should turn it into a track car? From my research on the net I'm suprised how fast these things are or could be made to go.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
SRF, I got your PM and sent a reply, here is the message I sent:

Hmmm... There is definitely some conflicting info here. 1985 was indeed the first year of the Omni GLH Turbo.

But... You say it has a twinstick transaxle? A four speed with a Hi/Lo lever? That sounds an awful lot like a Dodge Colt GTS Turbo, which I know were produced in 1983. 1.4L Turbo. (Could be 1.6L, but I think that happened in 1984) It is a rebadged Mitsubishi Mirage.

If that is the case, then it isn't a bad little car, but not quite in the same league as a GLH Turbo, both power and handling wise.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

1 - 8 of 8 Posts