Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well...the UDP kit install went about as well as I expected. I bent all 4 of my plugs, and now my car wont run. Weeeee i hope ford has a good warranty.

ON a more serious note, what the hell cause that? There's no keyway on the PZEV's crank pulley, so I went on what I thought was the same position. The big question is HOW SCREWED IS MY ENGINE....
The bottom end should be fine...i hope....$&%(%&&%[email protected]% i'm pissed!

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Oh - that looks (and sounds) very bad.

Probably not the informative post you were looking for, but good luck man!

>8^\
ER

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
can you see well enuff down in thru the plug holes to see if their shards of valves lyin on your pistons?

-Ult

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
oh my, i just remembered...that udp has the gear for the chain drive. this isnt a slap on like the zetec which has a separate belt behind it.

you prolly didnt set it right and since this is a non-interference engine (i believe it to be).

you prolly have parts of valves layin on top of your pistons all mashed up. if so, pistons are gone, valves are gone. rods ?able and the head is prolly f'd.

i hope not

-Ult

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Ult - your diagnosis is what I suspected.

I'm curious though, if he didn't turn the crankshaft or camshafts at any point during his installation, how this could have happened.

I was considering adding the pulleys to my car soon but this thread is giving me 2nd, 3rd & even 4th thoughts about not doing that.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
482 Posts
re-gap the plugs and fire that beeyatch up
all kidding aside this is one for maybe noresull in team tech to answer.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
pel-even if the engine stayed put durin the install...if the pulley was installed improperly and the crank spun under the starter's power, but the pulley did not (thus the cams and valvetrain didnt)...he could have crunched the valves that were in the open position from where he left it, and as it crunched valves, that could cause the cams to move and drop other valves to open which would be crunched when the piston came up again.

trust me, i HOPE i'm WRONG...i really do, this could horrible for this cat.

andy, crank the engine over by hand (big wrench on the pulley nut, no plugs installed, therefore no fightin compression)...listen to see whether you can hear valves clankin around in the cylinders and obviously if the chain drive moves as it should in full

-Ult

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pel-even if the engine stayed put durin the install...if the pulley was installed improperly and the crank spun under the starter's power, but the pulley did not (thus the cams and valvetrain didnt)...he could have crunched the valves that were in the open position from where he left it, and as it crunched valves, that could cause the cams to move and drop other valves to open which would be crunched when the piston came up again.

trust me, i HOPE i'm WRONG...i really do, this could horrible for this cat.

andy, crank the engine over by hand (big wrench on the pulley nut, no plugs installed, therefore no fightin compression)...listen to see whether you can hear valves clankin around in the cylinders and obviously if the chain drive moves as it should in full

-Ult
Yeah...i'll try that...i'm going to try to play dumb and get it replaced under warranty, but we'll see how far that goes. I'm actually quite pissed about this, and I know I'll never buy another FC part again. They SERIOUSLY just cost me an engine. By including no instructions and leaving out the part that you have to put a bolt in to hold the assembly all in place they have in turn completely killed my 2.3. Thanks FC! I really owe you guys one! What a bunch of jerkoffs...I know none of you will listen, but I'd like to prepose a ban on their parts. Maybe if we take away all their business they wont be able to screw anyone else over like this?! Anyway...i had a nice night out at the bar, we'll see what i can come up with tomorrow night as for strange noises and such. Maybe i can get away with a valve or two can it'll work. Who knows....i have a feeling this thing is toast though!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I'm actually quite pissed about this, and I know I'll never buy another FC part again. They SERIOUSLY just cost me an engine. By including no instructions and leaving out the part that you have to put a bolt in to hold the assembly all in place they have in turn completely killed my 2.3. Thanks FC! I really owe you guys one! What a bunch of jerkoffs...I know none of you will listen, but I'd like to prepose a ban on their parts. Maybe if we take away all their business they wont be able to screw anyone else over like this?!
I'm sorry you lost your engine, and it was wrong for them not to include instructions, but you could've called and asked. FC does not need to become a scapegoat because of peoples mistakes.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Umm, I fail to see how FC is responsible. Even if they don't include instructions it is your obligation to research the mod before putting it on the car. You were the one that put the mod on wrong, not them.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm actually quite pissed about this, and I know I'll never buy another FC part again. They SERIOUSLY just cost me an engine. By including no instructions and leaving out the part that you have to put a bolt in to hold the assembly all in place they have in turn completely killed my 2.3. Thanks FC! I really owe you guys one! What a bunch of jerkoffs...I know none of you will listen, but I'd like to prepose a ban on their parts. Maybe if we take away all their business they wont be able to screw anyone else over like this?!
I'm sorry you lost your engine, and it was wrong for them not to include instructions, but you could've called and asked. FC does not need to become a scapegoat because of peoples mistakes.
While that is true, on an install that is of such great importance, you'd think a company would offer some sort of warning, I'm really glad I'm the guinea pig for a lot of these PZEV related things, if you want to be on the forefront you pay the price. I'm pretty sure no one else will buy this kit now though, and personally I'll never spend another dollar to benefit a company that overlooks such a thing. It's bullsh*t in my eyes, but I'm sure a lot of people thing otherwise. Well, maybe chris will want my block and head now? All that needs to be replaced (probably) are at most the pistons and valves. FUN FUN.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
By including no instructions and leaving out the part that you have to put a bolt in to hold the assembly all in place they have in turn completely killed my 2.3.
It seems by this statement, that you realize where the error was in your install. Would you care to explain it in greater detail so that the rest of us with stock pulleys will at least benefit from your unfortunate experience when the time comes? I could afford to replace the engine if I screwed it up like this, but when I look at the list of mods I have planned, that one certainly is not on the list.

>8^)
ER

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have the FC UDP's on my 2.3 and I had an issue with it not starting after I was done with the install. After tightening the crank pulley the engine started ticking, as if trying to turn over. I didnt think much of it at the time until I got in my car and it didnt start. So I went back, undid the belt and turned the crank pulley in a counter clockwise direction until it clicked 5 times. Tied everything back up and it started in shot. Havent had a problem since so Focus Central gets a big
from me.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Yeah...i'll try that...i'm going to try to play dumb and get it replaced under warranty, but we'll see how far that goes. I'm actually quite pissed about this, and I know I'll never buy another FC part again. They SERIOUSLY just cost me an engine. By including no instructions and leaving out the part that you have to put a bolt in to hold the assembly all in place they have in turn completely killed my 2.3. Thanks FC! I really owe you guys one! What a bunch of jerkoffs...I know none of you will listen, but I'd like to prepose a ban on their parts. Maybe if we take away all their business they wont be able to screw anyone else over like this?! Anyway...i had a nice night out at the bar, we'll see what i can come up with tomorrow night as for strange noises and such. Maybe i can get away with a valve or two can it'll work. Who knows....i have a feeling this thing is toast though!
Oh great, another "Thameth".

Dude, it's your fault. You messed up the installation. But if you feel that it is FC's fault, then let it be. You just need to look at the bigger picture and realize who's fault it actually is.

BTW, Focus Central isn't the only one that sells a UDP w/no instructions.

I purchased a Esslinger UDP and it came with no instructions whatsoever. Before I did any type of installation, I did find installation instructions on the Internet which really made it easier.

IMHO, you should learn from this situation, not by blaming Focus Central, but that you should have done your research before doing anything.

Anyways, I sure hope the engine is still good and only minor things are damaged. It sucks to just see another member's car go down. If the engine is R.I.P., then...good luck.

·
Registered
860 Posts
These pullies are still high on the list of mods for my car, once I am done 'tweaking' what the factory provided me with...Now pass those wire cutters...

oh my, i just remembered...that udp has the gear for the chain drive.
...Does it????? ...I am gonna have to crawl under my car again and check that out...I thought all that was on it was the serrated wheel that the crankshaft position sensor reads off of...Thats all I see in the pics...

Based on what I previously thought was the case (no gear on the pulley; its almost 4 am, Im not checking now), my guess is that the serrated wheel wasnt lined up properly when the pullies were installed...This threw the timing horribly out of whack, and the resulting detonation trashed your plugs (and hopefully nothing else) ...It would be easier to diagnose sight-unseen if you specified what noises were made by the engine before it bit the big one...Im betting they were very loud, and not very nice-sounding...

...I am fairly certain that the plug damage was caused by detonation, in any case...The inside of your engine is quite possible still fine, also...

This post contains only my theories based on the very limited information provided...

EDIT: I have never seen an underdrive pulley kit that came with instructions...Installing one is basically idiot-proof, so there is no need to kill some defensless tree...Its (normally) a simple r&r that requires the basic knowledge of how to use a wrench...

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
EDIT: I have never seen an underdrive pulley kit that came with instructions...Installing one is basically idiot-proof, so there is no need to kill some defensless tree...Its (normally) a simple r&r that requires the basic knowledge of how to use a wrench...
FAWKEN DOPE!!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
While that is true, on an install that is of such great importance, you'd think a company would offer some sort of warning...
Hrrmm, I would say, on an install that is of such great inportance, you would think the installer would research said install to great lengths so as to insure that said install was completed correctly. They simply offer the customer the part. They do not provide installation. I am sure FC suggests the parts be installed by qualified persons only. I would hope you are qualified to install the parts. Otherwise you may want to look into having a qualified person install the parts. Good Luck

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
oh ok, thats what that gear is for...

if he did crunch valves, which it appears b/c that plug has been hit and the piston can hit it alone, it needs something else on top of it (valve heads and/or stems). e'll likely have to replace everything but the block and crank. all the other stuff up to the intake mani will be dead, includin the head.

from what he said he couldnt get the engine to run, so idk bout detonation...moreso by the pic, the plug has been hit mechanically.

-Ult

·
Registered
75 Posts
you prolly didnt set it right and since this is a non-interference engine (i believe it to be).

you prolly have parts of valves layin on top of your pistons all mashed up. if so, pistons are gone, valves are gone. rods ?able and the head is prolly f'd.

i hope not

-Ult
I actually believe it is an interference engine. The Zetec is non-interference, but I think the PZEV is an interference engine. If it is, the pistons may have hit the valves and the plugs when it smashed into the head.

I say take the UDP and ANY other engine mods off the car and put everything back together and call Ford Roadside Assistance and have it towed to the dealer, and hope they fix it.

Good luck man.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts