Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a new air intake, one of the short ram intakes with the cones.

I don't have a lot of car knowledge, but lots of technical knowledge, and will more than likely need a tutorial on how to install this.

Thanks!

-=J=-

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
myfordfocus.com has a "how to library" right on their homepage. you should find it from there.

Jon

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was planning on installing my Mac intake yesterday only to find that my torx set does not fit due to the little posts in the center of the screws. Where did you guys find the right torx set?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
the directions on myfordfocus.com tell which to use. then either go to toolbox or SEARS and get them.

Jon

·
Banned
227 Posts
Just take out a screw driver, and start unscrewing. Just make sure you disconnect the battery. It's obviouse once you start looking at it. The only 'special' tool you'll need is some Trox sockets.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
ok if you need instructions to install a mas air intake (i dont call it short ram cause it does not "ram" air anywhere) you do not have a lot of
technical knowledge
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">. sorry to say this but it is true. most intakes come with simple to read instructions. and for the tamper resistant torx you are either trying to take off the MAFS or the T/B. if you are going for the T/B you are doing something wrong for just an intake. if you are going for the MAFS, go to sears or any hdw store and go buy some. or break off that little pin in the center and use the bits you have.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
don't be a penis...he might mean he knows about computers, for all you know.

its really easy to install though, if you need to remove the MAF (which i think you do on short rams) you just need to find the proper torx bit. otherwise, its all screws and hose clamps. make sure you get a SECURE fit onto the throttle body...try to jiggle it and pull up to make sure it doesn't pop off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by zx3 focus racer:
ok if you need instructions to install a mas air intake (i dont call it short ram cause it does not "ram" air anywhere) you do not have a lot of </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> technical knowledge
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">. sorry to say this but it is true. most intakes come with simple to read instructions. and for the tamper resistant torx you are either trying to take off the MAFS or the T/B. if you are going for the T/B you are doing something wrong for just an intake. if you are going for the MAFS, go to sears or any hdw store and go buy some. or break off that little pin in the center and use the bits you have.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The part hasn't arrived yet, so I didn't know the serverity or challenge of the project I was getting into. After reading at myfordfocus.com, it seems like it will be pretty easy.

And yes, I know a crap load about computers...

-=J=-

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
give the guy a break. i asked the same thing when i did my first mod (intake) to my car since i had never done anything like that either. now i've installed countless bolt-on's many many times. that's why we have a forum like this... so people can help each other.

Jamie: an intake (especially short ram) is very easy to install. just remember to disconnect the negative battery cable before you start and replace it when you're finished. this is not just to restart the computer in the unlikely case that it actually needs it, but more importantly to assure the safety of your electrical system and electrical parts while you are disconnecting/reconnecting them.

Nate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts