Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put 5 quarts of oil in my SVT Zetec. Should I drain some out or forget about it?

When I searched for "oil overfill" I got a lot of hits about DTC codes that list oil overfill as a probable cause. Would half a quart over be a problem?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
It probably won't be a problem, but I would still try to drain a little out and then just top it off to the full mark.

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
SVT is a special model of vehicle. It's still a zetec motor.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
no argument form me
just ppl with svt don't usualy say they have a zetec. i think? oh well. botom line is to much oil is a bad thing. drain that sob down to 4.5 q

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
they think they're better than us

just kidding, yeah its a zetec, just w/some different components. anyways, a half a quart extra just brings you to the top of the safe "full" range. it wouldn't be DANGEROUS probably, unless you drive it real hard...but it wouldn't be hard to drain some out, so you probably better.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Def drain some out.To much oil will cause high oil pressure and cause gaskets to leak.Half a quart is alot when you dont take much to begin with.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Def drain some out.To much oil will cause high oil pressure and cause gaskets to leak.Half a quart is alot when you dont take much to begin with.
Overfilled oil does not cause high oil pressure and half a Qt. will not cause seals to leak.

Half Qt. over is not near as bad as everyone is making it seem. I would try and drain some out, but the way everyone else is making it sound is false. You need to start worrying about seals and such about 1 Qt. over, trust me on this one guys!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whoa.. did I say SVT Zetec? I meant SVT's Zetec.

Jetters have made it unanimous, I will drain off 1/2 qt!

(BTW, I'm pretty good about punctuation and spelling. I stated SVT Zetec just in case it made a difference since there is a never-ending SVT debate regarding oil/filter--5w30 vs 5w20 / FL2005 vs FL400s.
Yes its true, we do think we're better, but that's more a personal problem than anything else. I would feel superior if I drove a PZEV too. Why? Because I was the one who made the decision, that's why!
Hello...
)

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
If you were running something like a V8 I wouldn't worry about a measley .5 quart as there is plenty of clearance between the rod journals and the oil in the pan, plus it keeps quite a bit of oil in the upper end of the engine while running. But with that said, in a 4 banger where everythings smaller and tolerances are a lot closer, a half quart of oil could be significant. Over filling the crankcase a small amount won't create any increase in oil pressure nor will it create leaks, it could cause excessive crankcase pressure and blowby, however, the real issue with an overfilled crankcase is "frothing". This happens when the oil level is high enough for the rod journals to come in contact with the oil in the pan. This will pick up the oil and slosh it around, this action will in turn "whip" the oil as in whip cream. Then the problems really start as whipped oil cannot be picked up by the oil pump very easily and that which is picked up won't lubricate very well because it will be saturated by air bubbles. So, I wouldn't be comfortable even with just .5 over full in a little engine.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have put nothing but 5 quarts in both of my ZX3's. Between the two of the I have put 110,000 miles on them. And not one engine problem from doing this.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
If you were running something like a V8 I wouldn't worry about a measley .5 quart as there is plenty of clearance between the rod journals and the oil in the pan, plus it keeps quite a bit of oil in the upper end of the engine while running. But with that said, in a 4 banger where everythings smaller and tolerances are a lot closer, a half quart of oil could be significant. Over filling the crankcase a small amount won't create any increase in oil pressure nor will it create leaks, it could cause excessive crankcase pressure and blowby, however, the real issue with an overfilled crankcase is "frothing". This happens when the oil level is high enough for the rod journals to come in contact with the oil in the pan. This will pick up the oil and slosh it around, this action will in turn "whip" the oil as in whip cream. Then the problems really start as whipped oil cannot be picked up by the oil pump very easily and that which is picked up won't lubricate very well because it will be saturated by air bubbles. So, I wouldn't be comfortable even with just .5 over full in a little engine.
The "Frothing" aspect is correct, however, the Focus Oil pan will hold atleast 5 quarts below the windage tray that is built into the ladder frame of the block skirt which is there for the exact reason to prevent the oil from coming into contact with the rod journals.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts