1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
USA: Opel to bid for re-start of exports to US - report
08 May 2003
Source: just-auto.com editorial team

Opel sources in Germany have told weekly magazine Autoweek that, soon after the September Frankfurt show, Opel design chief Martin Smith and GM Europe boss Mike Burns will ask GM North America to restart the flow of Opel models to the North American market.

Opel last sold cars in the United States through Buick dealerships in the late 1970s though it did also, from the mid-'90s, ship over the relatively unsuccessful Cadillac Catera, a rebadged Omega, until it was replaced recently by the US-made CTS model.

Autoweek said a case would be made to bring the Opel Signum and Vectra wagon to North America, with more models to follow.

As with GM North America’s dealings with Holden in Australia for the Monaro-based Pontiac GTO and other models perhaps to follow, the plan to bring Opel back to North America is another part of GM vice chairman Bob Lutz’s effort to add more cars to the vehicle maker’s truck-heavy portfolio, Autoweek said.

The magazine noted that Opel’s Olympia recovery plan (cutting costs and accelerating model renewals) has had dramatic results after only two years and that is one reason sources on both sides of the Atlantic continue to put Martin Smith’s name at the top of the list of likely successors to GM design chief Wayne Cherry.

What they need to bring over is the Opel Speedster or the Vectra sedan. Very nice cars, but would they sell them through Buick again?

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
they wouldn't sell 'em at Buick dealers, cuz Buick sucks. i'm guessing they'd sell em alongside Cadillacs, or maybe Chevys. it's cool though. some guy around here has an old Opel GT from when they sold here in the 70's, it's kinda neat.

Wait, I have a premonitions... Yes, Future Jared... he tells me they will import Opels with minimal modifications and sell them as... as... SATURNS!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Originally posted by justinVa:
What they need to bring over is the Opel Speedster or the Vectra sedan. Very nice cars, but would they sell them through Buick again?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh God, that'd be funny. Just when European Speedster owners thought they caught unjustified **** from Lotus owners. The Buick Speedster.
Btw, I'd love to see it come here as it should be significantly less expensive than the Elise.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Id love to see them bring over the Opel Astra V8 coupe.

·
Registered
481 Posts
That move makes a lot of sense. With the increaseing sales of Sport Compact Cars, GM is sucking hind tit. They really don't have $hit to compete against the Focus, Civic, Golf, Mazda 3 etc. If GM has two brain cells to rub together they will bring OPEL over as a brand, a euro-spec line that they could sell at Chevy dealers but would be targeted at performance buyers. I have driven an Opel every time I rent a car in Europe, they make nice little euro cars. Very similar to the Euro Focus's that I have driven.
Hell, any competition that the ol General can provide will only make future Fords better and less expensive. It is the nature of the market.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
[ 05-09-2003, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: focusdchaos ]

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Originally posted by flat 4:
If GM has two brain cells to rub together they will bring OPEL over as a brand, a euro-spec line that they could sell at Chevy dealers but would be targeted at performance buyers. I have .
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well only problem is that they'll start competing with Ponitac

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Originally posted by proxemac:
: Btw, I'd love to see it come here as it should be significantly less expensive than the Elise.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">err...I don't know about that. The Elise is only going to be about 35k or so....I mean how CHEAP could the OPEL be?

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Look out Neon SRT-4. Astra Turbo Coupe 200hp! Lexmal Tuning in he states FINALLY!!! Ramm Air for the Eco Tec.

·
Registered
52 Posts
if they do bring opel back, hopefully they won't screw with it like they did with the Vectra aka Saturn L-Series. They should turn the Saturn divison into the US leg of Opel. Dump that weenie Ion and bring in Astras, heck build em here if they have to. just slap on a high mount stop lamp and call it a day. don't soften up the suspension for "supposed" big mac eating american tastes.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm in favor of them just slapping Chevy badges on the entire Opel lineup, without a single change otherwise, and replacing the current US market crapola with them.

I mean, the new Malibu...the STARTED with a beautiful Opel platform...and...Good God, y'all!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Oh crap haha I forgot it shows the edit time in your post if you edit something. Oh well. I just put that there so nobody quoted Past Time Jared and told him that about the Saturn thing. This thread is sooooo old and irrelevant :lol:

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
tsunami racer said:
if they do bring opel back, hopefully they won't screw with it like they did with the Vectra aka Saturn L-Series. They should turn the Saturn divison into the US leg of Opel. Dump that weenie Ion and bring in Astras, heck build em here if they have to. just slap on a high mount stop lamp and call it a day. don't soften up the suspension for "supposed" big mac eating american tastes.
Dude you are like a prophet. Well at least like 99% right. Your clairvoyancy didn't realize the Aura thing. or the Sky.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts