Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm due for an oil change, but I now have a driveway so I can finally do it myself instead of paying $40 for a mobil station (Mobil 1) to do it. So I guess I should buy what is needed to do so--jackstands, oilpan, etc.

But I remember a commercial from about a year ago for a valve that you replace your oil drain plug with, that allows you to simply attach a keyed hose for easy changing--I would think this is a good opportunity to get one of these. Problem is I forget who it was--one of the big names. In searching I could only find this similiar item:
http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Has anyone used any of these? Recommend them? Do they work well with the focus? Do you know what the other big-name brand is?

Also searching here I found this item:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.jsp?searchtext=10122
which seems to be an even better bet. Same questions, who has used this and what do you think? I assume I would still need to get the jackstands and pan to remove the filter though, so it may not be of much use.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It slows the oil drain, and IMO doesn't drain as much as an old fashioned drain plug, but that's just MO.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree. Besides, the messy part is changing the filter not draining the oil. Just get a big oil pan or container with a big opening so you can't miss.

Dan

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hrm well then I'm a goner since I've never actually done it before. All this stuff will run me some money too, maybe I'm better just taking it to get it done. I just don't trust places to put Mobil 1 in. Any other tips I should know? Also, what do I do with the old oil? Drink it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Jwardell,

Most auto parts stores will take your oil for free. They just require you to sign a sheet verifying that it's just oil (ie no fuel, antifreeze, etc.). The WalMart by me just has a bin in the back parking lot that I use. I do mine myself so I know what's going in it. I keep it cleaner that way too. I buy 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 from Walmart for $18, and an FL400 Motorcraft filter for around $3 at Advance Auto.

Dan

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Originally posted by wrcfan:
I got the extractor from Griots Garage. Haven't used it yet but will let everyone know how it works.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have used this for awhile on my VWs and it has worked great...the tube reaches right to the lowest point and every last drop is out............
Unfortunately the Focus is the only car that the extractor *hasn't* worked that great on......it may help if they can get us a still smaller tube to reach far enough but that would slow down drainage a lot, it left as much as a quart behind as is and I played with it for a looooong time.

maybe you can do better.........or they are supplying smaller/more flexible tubes.

[ 10-01-2002, 11:21 AM: Message edited by: ZXmurph ]

·
Registered
210 Posts
The sure Drain is definitely slow. The Griott's garage piece I don't see the point in since you still have to get under the car and change the filter.

Also, if changing the oil is all you plan on doing, ramps are a lot easier than a jack and jackstands. Their easier on the car too.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Originally posted by Greg Dantzler:
The Griott's garage piece I don't see the point in since you still have to get under the car and change the filter.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well...yeah...in the Focus case it doesn't seem to work so good, though i have gotten the filter from the top, though the mess is hard to avoid.

Keep in mind, on a lot of other car's I've owned, it would draw out every drop *more* than the drain method, have it perfectly contained to take to disposal, and filters were a lot more accessible.
So it does have very good applications, where I did nothing but pop a hood and change oil without a change of clothes.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oil change sucsessful, thanks for the help guys.

I was never able to find that fram valve, but I'll keep an eye out. My drain plug is already a little mangled.

One more question: where can I recycle the oil--anyplace that sells it, or some specific place? Autozone? KMart? A gas station w/bays? And also, do I need to recycle the bottles too, can I just pour my oil into theirs or do they want it back in the bottles?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I touched on that suject above. Just take it in whatever type of container that you like. They will have you dump it into their bin. I'd suggest going to Walmart. The bin should be close to the automotive center.

Dan

·
Registered
128 Posts
find a good spot to jack it up, slide under, slide the pan under, take off the 13mm oil plug quickly, take off the filter<hardest part not to get oil all over, still trying to figure out how not to>, let car down to make sure you get all oil out, start care for 2 seconds to really get all oil out, just kidding, forget that last step, put filter on, put drain plug back in, fill engine with mobile 1 w20, 4 1/2 quarts, check oil level, and go have fun.

·
Registered
128 Posts
most car garages around town here accept used oil, any time of day, just dump into a nice and dirty barrel out back and go on your dandy way

1 - 16 of 16 Posts