Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw that you can purchase cosworth intake and exhaust cams separtely. This intrigued me.

My upcoming turbo install would probably benifit from a cam install as well.

I was thinking of just buying a cosworth intake cam and running the stock exhaust cam.

More lift and duration on the intake valve could provide a better power band. And the reasons behind my thinking to use the stock exhaust cam is so i don't just end up pushing the boost right out of the exhaust port.

Does anyone agree that I have a good idea?

I'm strongly concidering buying this intake cam
282° duration / .445" lift ( 11.3mm ) - ATDC @ full lift = 101

Anyone agree with my choice?
Anyone disagree?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Two thoughts, maybe just some stg 1's from crane or possibly some custom ground ones.

·
Registered
545 Posts
crane FI cams? plus you can tune them with walter's tool to reduce the overlap.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Wow...looks like a huge intake cam...I would probably wouldn't put it in a N/A street car, but I think pressure from the turbo will prevent intake reversal and you would have decent low end torque.

I am not sure how your car would idle. Is the duration assuming .003" initial lift or .050"???

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think i'd have a major torque gain just from running that intake cam. I might have to get a custom exhaust cam ground though, because i don't see any witht the kind of specs i'd like to run. But the stock exhaust cam should be fine for my current planned setup.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
With the Zetec, it used to be popular to run an Esslinger intake cam with a stock exhaust cam. The idea was to let more air in and the exhaust would take care of itself. But the Zetec had single pattern cams and an exhaust port that worked better than average for the design of the intake port.

The Duratec is different. Our cams are a dual pattern favoring the intake to begin with. Also, the cams are pretty small. Using comparable duration numbers measured at 0.050" lift, the Zetec is 205/205, and the Duratec is 203/190. The old Esslinger intake cam trick put the Zetec at 220/205.

The Cosworth cam above would need to be used with a matching Cosworth exhaust cam even in this scenerio. The thing is, you would be better off with much smaller cams for a forced induction car. at 5-10psi, the stock cams will work well, and anything much bigger than the Stage 1 Cranes is overkill. Stage 2 cams would work too, but the boost response will not be as good.

Another error is thinking that overlap is the bad guy. With the Zetec, you would retard the intake cam 10-12 degrees and zero the intake cam. Retarding the exhaust cam adds overlap.

Just some things to think about.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. I think when the time is right i'll look into a set of crane stage 1 cams.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts