Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a car (zetec) that was modified but I'm turning it to a dd and so want to go back to stock. I do not have a programmer for it but need to flash the ECU back to stock. What are my options?

Things I could think of:
- Buy a programmer/flasher with a stock tune
- Take it to the dealer and have them flash it? Will the dealer even do this.
- Take it to a tuner shop and have them do it?

Any other options? If it helps, I'm in Austin, TX. I'm looking for the lowest cost/effort option...

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ECU was mailed in to a tuner for programming previously. Don't think the tuner is around anymore, plus I'd like to avoid downtime of removing/mailing the ECU.

Any idea on what I should expect the dealer to charge for this?

·
I
13,288 Posts
The ECU was mailed in to a tuner for programming previously. Don't think the tuner is around anymore, plus I'd like to avoid downtime of removing/mailing the ECU.

Any idea on what I should expect the dealer to charge for this?
Ah, interesting! I can't recall who tuned that way instead of using a flasher or chip.

Maybe call around and just say you want the latest factory calibration flashed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not to hijack your thread...but I'm in the same boat. I'd like to return to the stock Ford map due to the fact that my '04 SVT EAP has failed my states DEQ three times. The error showing up is an "Unsupported" catalytic converter.

They told me it's probably due to an aftermarket tune, but if I pay the dealer $$$ for the remap, there is no guarantee the CAT itself isn't burned out (car has @ 140K miles).

I also have no record who/ what or even ifthe car is running an aftermarket tune.

Anybody know roughly what a dealer charges for a remap to stock?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not to hijack your thread...but I'm in the same boat. I'd like to return to the stock Ford map due to the fact that my '04 SVT EAP has failed my states DEQ three times. The error showing up is an "Unsupported" catalytic converter.

They told me it's probably due to an aftermarket tune, but if I pay the dealer $$$ for the remap, there is no guarantee the CAT itself isn't burned out (car has @ 140K miles).

I also have no record who/ what or even if the car is running an aftermarket tune.

Anybody know roughly what a dealer charge$ for a remap to stock?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<sigh> Three dealers in town. Two wouldn't even pick up the phone. The third wants the car for the whole day and charges $115 to do it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Screw the stealer.

Found the ECU used from a junkyard on ebay for $75. I have a PATS programmer so will just do it this way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts