Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i finally ordered it today! now...is there anything i should look out for when it comes time to install it? such as low areas or anything? i know some "can" exhausts are low at the back but this one should be good right? are there any common problems people have had with this system? also...(sorry for all the questions)...but how noticable will the gains be? i have the ATX and ive heard it is much more noticable on the ATX over the MTX. is that true?
thanks in advance tho

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I'd say its usually the other way around, more noticable on a MTX vs ATX.
Congrats on the purchase. Are you planning to install or have someone do it? I did half of mine (make sure you have access to a sawsall to get the old one off) except the two bolts hold the muffler to the flex-pipe were so rusted on mine that I couldn't get them off. I eventually gave up and had to take the car (boy are Foci loud when they have most of their exhaust cut off) to a local Midas to have them remove the stupid bolts. Since it was at the shop already they put my new one on (I have a Bosal) for $30.
Also if you are doing this yourself get some jack stands

·
Registered
411 Posts
You will need alot of WD40 and some tool to cut the stock one over the rear suspension(which is not fun). It will take approx 1.5-2hrs or pay $30 for any muffler shop to do it for you.
I don't know about you but after having it for 1.5yr I can't stand the noise anymore and I end up adding a resonator in it. If you don't want loud, maybe you want to do it before.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
You will need alot of WD40 and some tool to cut the stock one over the rear suspension(which is not fun). It will take approx 1.5-2hrs or pay $30 for any muffler shop to do it for you.
I don't know about you but after having it for 1.5yr I can't stand the noise anymore and I end up adding a resonator in it. If you don't want loud, maybe you want to do it before.
I've done it about 10-15 times on varying foci. Takes no time at all. You need to borry that exhaust cutter from someone and go to the store now and but a can of GUNK liquid wrench with teflon. It's in a green can. This stuff is so good i once stripped a bolt when i was taking it out and didnt even realize!
(like took the threads right off!) It's a really easy job, and for $30 i'd do it for anyone!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
When i installed mine it took me 45 minutes, and it was my first 'focus' exhaust. it's really very easy.

just cut the stock one near the rear axle, remove it...

the hardest part is getting the plastic / rubber mounts off the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its really only like $30 to get it installed?! i was plannin on it bein almost a $100!!!

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
It will take approx 1.5-2hrs
holy cow - that is loooong time for a exhaust install. I went from stock to the borla first (45mins install) and than couple month ago swithed to the Thermal, and that install took under 30 mins.

I would defiently do it yourself. No need wasting your cash on a muffler shop. But that's just my opinion.

Also, with the resonator, also something you can do yourself. Install it the way is is right now, see how you like it. Why make changes to something you haven't even heared and might like the way it sounds? If down the road it is too loud for you, it really isn't a task to buy a resonator, couple clamps, than take the straight pipe off, cut out the piping you need to put the resonator in and put it back under the car...

Just do it yourself and save the money for a muffler shop for something else.

Just MHO

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well then on that note...HOW do i install the system? i mean i dont have a jack or anything but i can get ramps. dont you have to weld and [censored]?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts