Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just doing a normal driving for about 1 hour, then I realized the temp. gauge was reaching the redline. I immediately turn on the heater and I could see it helped a bit but I was scared to drive it home.
The yellow hornet had to be towed to his home.

What could be wrong ? Please help

=dRe=

·
Registered
795 Posts
Make sure the fan operates correctly. Make sure coolant is at an acceptable level. Make sure there is nothing blocking the radiator (leaves, hats, clothing, plastic bags, dead cats/dogs, etc).

If that doesn't solve it...teardown and inspect the hoses, water pump, maybe throw in a new thermostat.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Suggest following these steps which can be done in your driveway:
#1 Check coolant level in the overflow tank. If it's low then fill it, and look for the leak which might not show up until the cooling system is hot and pressurized. If it's good, then go to:
#2 Make sure the fan(s) are working. If the coolant level appears good, then start the car at your home, then listen for the fans coming on when the engine reaches operating temp. it may take awhile just sitting there, but it will happen (if the fans are indeed working). P.S. You can turn on your A/C to make the fans come on if the car overheats. Your cooling fan control circuit can fail, even if the fans work when you turn the A/C on. If the fans work only w/AC it's an easy fix. If the fans work, then go to:
#3 Check the water pump. If the water pump is bad, you will know it by either leaks from the pump body or by excessive noise from bad nearings (usual cause of water pump failure-seals fail, pump leaks, bearings lose lubrication and then fail).
#4 If the water pump is good, then it's likely to be the thermostat. Go ahead and replace the thermostat; It's cheap and fairly easy to do.
#5 If you do open the cooling syatem then do this: If your car has low mileage, save and reuse the coolant. If your car is over two years old then recycle the old coolant and install new coolant.
Good luck

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot, guys ! I think it comes down to either the cooling fan or the thermostat.

First thing I checked was the coolant level, and there was no leak.
It's kinda too dark to do anything....it's been a really rough day for me. But, thanks again.

=dRe=

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
If your fans do turn on with the A/C, but not otherwise, replace the fan resistor assembly between the fan motors. Costs about $35 and very easy to install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts