Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked the usual things just had thermostat and housing replaced a 1000 miles ago(Currently 80000) and I just replaced the CHT sensor yesterday. I think it may be a relay with the fans as they do not come on when they are supposed to. Has anyone expierienced the same thing? You can fry eggs on the header shroud. Also sounds like oil boiling?

Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
i'm experiencing this exact same problem.

let me ask you 1 thing. how difficult was it to change the CHT sensor and its located by the coolant reservior right?

---

i'm gona change tha tout and then if it still does it, i'm gona change the fan resistor.

I suspect thats your problem as well as mine.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
Check the resistor on the fan assembly. When it burns out the low speed fan dosent come on.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
also, let the car cool down and turn the fan blades by hand, if one spins less freely than the other, then one of the motors could be burnt out. one of mine did that a few months ago. there are two fuses for the cooling fans to check too. if the fan motor burns out, it will blow one or both of the fuses. check the manual for specifics, but there is one 50 amp (red) and one 30 amp (green) fuse in the fuse box under the hood.

i had mine replaced under warranty. so check the fuses in the fuse box, check the resistor pack that plugs into the fan shroud and check the fan blades to see if one spins with more resistance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am currently having the exact same problem. How would I go about changing the resister myself???? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Ford wanted to blame my sound system and alarm for the fan...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't worry about the CHT sensor. Unless you really want to change it out. You might as well change your belt while you are it. It is a bitch to change out-not a lot of workspace and it is a two man process getting the belt off. Watch out for the fuel pressure sensor that comes off the coiled fuel line. Snapped mine off trying to get the alternator loose. Not fun. Its a $80 part and no local dealerships had it. Drove 50 miles to get it. After we installed that still had same problems. Turns out a $10 relay was burned out in the fuse box under the hood. Check that first before you spend some cash.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts