Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
"Shut Up man, get on my horse"
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the cofe for the EVAP leak... Also came with the Check fuel cap light..
Well I replaced the cap, cleared the code, and well it came back..

What's next?

·
Registered
265 Posts
find a smoke machine

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I had the fuel cap go bad on my Freestyle, and two months later, with the off brand I bought, the light came on again. I'm probably gonna buy a OEM one soon.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Has the fuel pump been replaced on your car? Thats where I got that code from. I didn't get a gooder enough seal and it kept popping on.

·
to roi am a pretty little girl with a shifter to r
2,666 Posts
if what you got wasnt OEM, id suggest trying that out.

-gabe

·
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's is a OEM Focus fuel cap.
The fuel pump has been replaced when the recall took place.

Yeah, smoke machines in Florida.. kind of rare, we have no emissions testing.

My car has been shutting off or I guess stalling by itself when I slow down to almost a stop.
And my gas mileage is usually 270 to a tank..and I drive easy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm jealous of your 270 miles per tank....I have an 02 svtf and I just changed the plugs, wires, distributor, pcv, timing belt and all of the pulleys and tensioner....I only get 200/tank. I have a CAI and a borla exhaust...only mods. I don't get it.

·
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have intake and exhaust too

·
Registered
971 Posts
Hey--I'm assuming you have a manual (I forget from all your Rigz threads, though)--but there may be a problem with the switch the clutch presses against.

If the engine dying is a quick "Whomph!" and it stops, that's probably not it. If it's more like my mysterious problem, where your car just kind of, as you're drifting to a stop (out of gear, in neutral), just...fades away to zero rpm with nary a shudder (the only warning you have when the "Battery" and "Check Engine" lights blaze bright)...it might be that's your problem.

Students of mine at Northampton Community College's Automotive Tech program did a full diagnostic on my car and identified that as the only problem I had that no CEL or codes. I replaced the switch with the appropriate Ford part, and the problem seemed to go away for a long time. Recently, over a period of several months, the car's "idled down" on occasion, but ONLY when I'm drifting to a stop in neutral. It doesn't do it as I'm sitting still at a light (it'll shudder and vibrate as the IACV seems to struggle to keep idling), and it doesn't do it in gear.

I'm not convinced it was this switch entirely, but it may be a contributing factor.

--Scott

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
this code has nothing to do with stalling. You are losing vac/pressure in your evap system. There is a hole somewhere or a bad purge valve or LDP. You need a smoke machine and scanner. Smoke machines are NOT rare in Florida. Any shop you go to will have one. They show vac leaks as well and are a common tool.

·
Banned
5,338 Posts
i had that code or one just like it when i did my fuel pump. but i just went into my PRP and turned that switch off, take that you stupid light :lol:

i didnt even bother to look for mine cuz the code was for a TINY leak in the evap, i said screw that.

·
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
People say I should clean my evap canister? Where the f is that?

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
People say I should clean my evap canister? Where the f is that?
Up and behind the gas tank. Its a PITA to get too.

Since you have no emissions testing in Fl, get a tune and have the Evap system turned off.

·
baker of shartmuffinz
2,569 Posts
i get 270 miles per tank and i cant get it to go any higher, it sucks i thinks it has to do with ours being auto so they suck to begin with

·
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chris, I'd rather spend money on other things then a tune..

Def. need to find this evap canister.

hypr, i used to get 300+

·
baker of shartmuffinz
2,569 Posts
yah, ive been stuck at 220 for a while and finally got it to go to 270, still trying to figure out what is wrong....

·
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i dunno, so tired of it :(

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
Chris, I'd rather spend money on other things then a tune..

Def. need to find this evap canister.

hypr, i used to get 300+
Mullet man says your car will blow up without a tune :D

I told ya where its at. That hard part is there is now way to tell if its bad or not. Your just going to have to have someone run a smoke test of the car.

·
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took apart the canister and I guess it has to be fully replaced?

Ah this is the purge valve?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm jealous of your 270 miles per tank....I have an 02 svtf and I just changed the plugs, wires, distributor, pcv, timing belt and all of the pulleys and tensioner....I only get 200/tank. I have a CAI and a borla exhaust...only mods. I don't get it.
i get 270 a tank and getting ready to clock 190k in mine. K&N intake and full 3" Exhaust with 3.5"tip. and i have the EVAP code hopes its my gascap but if not i wanted to change fuel pump anyway

1 - 20 of 20 Posts