Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i haven't posted i a long time but i have a pretty seriouge gripe. this is a copy of an email that i sent to pace setter. its kind of long so i'll try to edit it. let me just give you the problems.
it is now 4:30 am e.s.t on monday september 16th. the reason i am writing this email to you is becuase i just got finished reworking my exhaust system and installing you poor quality product. i say it is poor quality for a number of reasons. this was done with the "armor coated" short header.
now let me explain why i say your "armor coated" short header is not a good product. first, upon examining the header when i recieved it, i was totally disappointed by its build quality. there was excessive aounts of extra material around the welds on the flange between header and cylinder wall.
the next problem came up during the attachment of your header to the cylinder head. the bolt holes for the manifold bolts and studs did not line up correctly. because of this i had many problems getting the bolts to seat correctly and i can tell you witout a dount that most of them are now crossthreaded into the aluminum cylinder head of my engine. this wall cause all kinds of problems when, not if, i replace your shoddy piece of work. not only do i now run the risk of cracking my head, i most likly wil brak a few of my bolts, and they will not be easy to get out of the head once they are broken.
next on our list of problems is the fitment of the catalytic converter and the stock flex pipe. first the design of the collector on the header was to long for a direct fit replacement. it pushed the mounting of the catalytic converter down down a few inches and therefore i could no longer use the stock mouning brackets for the cat. needless to say, i got the cat to fit but i had to leave the brackets off. now the only thing supporting both header and catalytic converter are the head bolts, whis i already stated do not fit properly with your header. another problem that i had during reattachment of the cat is that the placement of the header tubes and the collector interfered with the threading of the nuts onto the studs that are on the catalytic converter. this caused on of these to become crossthreaded as well. luckily i was able to get that bolt off, and while the stud broke, it left enough thread to allow me to use a different bolt and secure the header to the cat. needless to say, i now need to get a new stud for the cat.
the header is now attached to the car after 8 long hours of pushing, shoving and torquing, but once on i notices there was an exhaust leak. unfortunatly i could not determine where the leak was coming from, so now i have to take the day off of work and try and fix the leak.
all in all, i am very disappointed and also very angry knowing that i have spent my money on an inferior, sub-par piece of shoddy engineering. i will be contacting a representative of you company in regards to these issues.
you think i have a valid issue here. doesn't it suck when you shell out hard earned mony and get crap in return. this is a warning, do not buy pace setter.

oh, if this is in the wrong forum, sorry though it should go under tuning

·
Registered
64 Posts
sorry to hear about your problem. I have the uncoated one and havent had a problem. I'll admit that build quality isn't as pretty as the other shorties but it is a less expensive alternative. As soon as the bolt holes didnt match up I wouls have stopped installing it

·
Registered
235 Posts
mistec,

You may have just received a bad one. I know for a fact that the main issue that comes about with the Pacesetter has to deal with height.. since it stands a bit taller than the other comparable ones out there (i.e. JBA and FocusSport), you have to cut the hood blanket a bit. Other than that, I haven't heard of any serious installation issues.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Installed 2 on my friends Focus and no problems.

Even if Pacesetter, I was pretty impressed by the build quality.

And the excess weld material on the flange part that meets the head is on all the headers, Even Focus Sport is like that.

Maybe it was not aligned properly? It can be hard to install "shorty" headers as getting to the bolts is not as easy but still.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts