Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today I washed my car, and when I was rinsing the front bumper, a big chip of paint (1 inch square) came right off, right beside the fog lamp, on the driver side off the bumper. the thing is that my hose dont have a big pressure, paint should not come off a bumper like that does it?

anyway, I drove to the dealer and showed it to people there so they can attest of it when I go back tuesday.

I looked and its basicly on the urethane on there, like the primer and paint both chipped off togheter, the paint layer is so thin, from what I can see. I hope they warranty it, its the second paint default I get on that svt. one mirror was not painted on the underside, but it was clear coated...

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
The paint process is pretty complex and there can be problems with getting the primer to stick to the plastic. It's not common, but it can happen.

They should have no problem fixing it under warrenty... as long as you didn't bump anything to cause the paint to crack. If they notice any stress marks in the plastic then they might fight, but it should be covered otherwise.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope, not stress whatsoever on the bumper. the paint is perfect looking and there is no "spiderweb" in the clear coat.

hopefully it'll all be warrantied.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Re: paint is coming off on front bumper :(

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.............Ford is not alone here. You have just experienced politically correct paint and its shortcomings.
My 02 Ram just did the same thing. Go to Honda forums and read the same there. Basically the paints used today are water based formulas......nasty chemicals (that stick) have been replaced with "friendly ones" and the results are less than great. Plus it's difficult to get paint to set up on a flexible piece of automobile bumper.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

could'nt care less if they use eggs and milk to make there paint as long as they warranty it. was your dodge warranty?

·
Registered
62 Posts

I had a smaller chip in my bumper - it looked gray where the paint flaked. Body shop said it was a rock chip - Warranty DENIED. Assholes.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

well mine is not a rock chip. it was perfectly fine, I washed the car, soap it, use a soft fuzzy mitts for it, then when I rinced it came off with a 1 inch square paint flake. if I'd washed more it would flake more. so I stopped. like if the paint was hold by itself and not sticked to the bumper material itself. its better be warranty or else im gonna freaking turn crazy.

I am very very very sick of the crap quality of my actual car. its BS.

·
Registered
62 Posts

I was washing my car also when it chipped. I know the diffrence between a rock and a flake. They wiggle out of what ever they can. Good luck man.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

thanks for the support tampa.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts

It's not uncommon, and the dealer shouldn't give you any crap unless it was hit. My friend's new Tibby did the same thing, and they didn't give him any trouble.

·
Registered
134 Posts

french connection........well it's over a year so I'm not going to bother. Paint is usually a year tops. I put a piece of moulding/tape over it and it looks fine. Problem began due to a bug being on it too long and I think it ate the paint. Hope you get yours fixed.

·
Registered
118 Posts

i'm with you french connection..i have paint falling of here and there...not to orried though changing colors for the new year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts