Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this prob has been posted a lot but i don't want to buy mouldings off a car that has them come prepped. i've seen many painted on the factory types but every body shop keeps telling me it can't be done. any one have a clue of the process of painting them is like or lives in virginia and knows a place that has done it?

·
Registered
767 Posts
Find a sign shop that has an Axel Noble(sp?), Grip guard paint system. Its a two stage system. I had a friend do my original moldings. I masked off the entire car, then he sprayed a clear that sticks to the plastic, then the paint which sticks to the clear.
When I got the S2 moldings, he did the same process, just off the car.

ec9

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Hey bro you've got PM's....and ED that clear stuff was adhesion promoter, its great stuff for painting plastic...Peace

Lox

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Yep, an adhesive promotor is all you need...when I painted my side skirts, I used Bulldog (an adhesive promotor) and then sprayed my paint right over it...worked great!.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The parts are PLASTIC.....They don't have a surface designed to hold paint. Just as an example try this...go get an empty plastic bowel, like from butter or something..Hold the can 6 inches or so away just like you were spraying the side mouldings and spray the bowel...Watch as the paint runs right off. The surface is not porus enough to hold the paint. Bulldog adhesion promoter is to total bomb, I use it on anything I am worried about paint not sticking to. Be sure to wear an aspirator though, that stuff is strong......Peace

Lox

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
can you get a smooth serface from these mouldings so its not bumpy, and will the paint match?? painted over plastic

·
Registered
860 Posts
can you get a smooth serface from these mouldings so its not bumpy, and will the paint match?? painted over plastic
Yes, and yes...

To get a smooth surface, you can either sand the livin daylights out of them, or sand them a little and then prime the living daylights out of them...Adhesion promoter also isnt necessary if you sand the parts...I smoothed, and painted the lower valance of my truck with no problems...It just took a lot of time to get it smooth...

...And the paint will match if the paint color matches...Paint doesnt know if its being sprayed on metal, or plastic, or primer...Match the colors, hit it with some clear coat, and youll be set...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yes, and yes...

To get a smooth surface, you can either sand the livin daylights out of them, or sand them a little and then prime the living daylights out of them...Adhesion promoter also isnt necessary if you sand the parts...I smoothed, and painted the lower valance of my truck with no problems...It just took a lot of time to get it smooth...

...And the paint will match if the paint color matches...Paint doesnt know if its being sprayed on metal, or plastic, or primer...Match the colors, hit it with some clear coat, and youll be set...
Dude....adhesion promoter is a MUST ask any professional body man. Hell YNOT said the same thing, and have you seen his car, he's a pro painter. Make your own choices but without the promoter you run the risk of orange peeling and paint the doesn't stick....Peace

Lox

1 - 9 of 9 Posts