Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering what is the best thing to do? Should I paint the wheels first, then have the tires mounted? Or vice versa? I have the wheels and tires separate right now. I'm just concerned the mounting process will f them up.
Thoughts?
BTW, this would be a DIY rattle can job, not a pro paint.

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
As long as u have them off u might as well do it now. Mounting tires wont mess up a paint job as long as u go to a tire shop that has a touchless mounting system, which most do now-a-days. the machine doesnt even touch the outside of the wheel.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahhh...thank you. I'm not up on tire mounting equipment. This is a little test of mine. I'm not even sure I'm gonna like it.
Should be fun though. Thanks for the info man

·
Registered
883 Posts
plus with the tire off the rim you can get the whole rim, and not just the front. Also you dont have to worry about taping them up, and overspray on the tires. Any tim i have painted rims i have done them without the tires. So I'd say paint them with just bare rims you will be much happier

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Do you have any painting expierence?
If not let me know and i can help you with a step by step.
Also make sure you let it dry for 24 hours before touching them. I get anxious alot and start to touch which isn't good.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also make sure you let it dry for 24 hours before touching them. I get anxious alot and start to touch which isn't good.
Hey thanks for the offer. I've sprayed before with good results. I hear ya on the wanting to touch part. I'm not known for being to patient sometimes.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts

same with me!!!!! arghh im always the one to want to throw stuff on right after paint....cuz i cant wait to see the final result! o well ill learn......

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
you do realize the paint will chip, right?
how do u figure? There is WHEEL paint ya know...
yeah, but it will still chip. I don't think i've ever seen a painted (except for powder coated) wheel that didn't chip

·
Car Photo God!
4,292 Posts
yeah, but it will still chip. I don't think i've ever seen a painted (except for powder coated) wheel that didn't chip
Powdercoating can fatigue the wheel and cause stress=cracked rim. I rather worry about chipping personally.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Powdercoating can fatigue the wheel and cause stress=cracked rim. I rather worry about chipping personally.

me too...

also, many of stock/aftermarket wheels are painted (granted from assembly) but still paint nontheless. if you prep it right it can last years(providing u clean/wax and dont hit curbs
)

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
a lot of my friends have had their wheels painted for years... no chips or cracks and blemishes at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts