Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
My manicurist says I have low self esteem...
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago someone posted a pic of their stock radio with the trim around the buttons painted silver to match the factory radio surround piece. It looked REAL good and I would like to do it to mine. Can that person please repost the pic and tell me what paint (color and brand) they used again.

Mark

·
Registered
437 Posts
As far as I know... one of the first people to do this was badmojo66.. He did his and I also did it. The paint we used was Duplicolor Metalcast (the base coat color).. You'll need radio removal tools, and #6 and #8 tork bits. remove the radio and carefully remove the face with the #8 tork bit. Used the #6 tork bit to remove the circuit card on the radio face. Remove the plastic bracket holding all the buttons and then carefully remove the buttons. Lightly sand, prime and then paint the face. Reassemble in reverse. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah, theres been pics of my stereo in like 3 threads lately!

Just like fordmazdaboy said. Very easy. I think the hardest part was having to wait for the paint to cure so I could reinstall it!
I'm pretty happy with the stock stereo setup, so for the $5 in paint it cost me, I think it looks Damn Good. Atleast once a week I come out of a store to find someone peering into my car.

Hey eirc, I had almost forgot you were intersted in doing yours. How did it turn out? Got pics?

·
My manicurist says I have low self esteem...
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, theres been pics of my stereo in like 3 threads lately!

Just like fordmazdaboy said. Very easy. I think the hardest part was having to wait for the paint to cure so I could reinstall it!
I'm pretty happy with the stock stereo setup, so for the $5 in paint it cost me, I think it looks Damn Good. Atleast once a week I come out of a store to find someone peering into my car.

Hey eirc, I had almost forgot you were intersted in doing yours. How did it turn out? Got pics?

Yea your the one I was talking about. Damn that looks good man and looks to perfectly match your SVT ac knob surround. What kind of paint did you use and what is the name of the color if you can remember. Thanks for replying.

Mark

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey badmojo, can you post info on painting the bezel around the radio blue? Process and paint types. It would be greatly appreciated. I need some red inside my car, or maybe white.

·
Registered
172 Posts
As posted by Fordmazdaboy, I used Duplicolor MetalCast. Great Stuff! Basically, its a 2 part painting process. You use a base coat, which is silver with a slight meatl flake too it, and once dry, you cover it with the second part. The second part of the process is transparent, and tinted. You just keep laying on thin layers untill you get the desired color deepness. To remove the stereo and surround takes a ton of steps, but very easy. Just use stereo removal tools to pop it out, and then undue the 4 hex bolts, and carefully undue all the wireing connectors. Just look over the stereo, and you will see all the necsessary torx screws to remove and tabs to release. I did the vent rings last year without priming or clear coating, with good results, so I did the same here. I just sanded lightly, and then scrubbed in the sink with Simple Green to degrease. So in my case, I painted the Stereo face, the drawer cover, and the stereo surround in about 4 coats of the silver base. Then, I left the stereo face as is, and sprayed the surround and drawer with about 6 coats of the metalcast blue. Make sure you give it plenty of time to dry! I left mine to dry for 4 days just to make sure I didnt leave fingerprints when reinstalling. Good luck!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I did the radio face, silver of course, and it came out nice. Only did one coat of silver, I think I will do another coat today. Thanks for the great mod. I left the main piece flat black (ala SVT) and it looks pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Right now my interior is sporting a Metalcast Blue / Gunmetal look. The vent rings, guage bezel, radio bezel are MC Blue, the radio, climate control knobs, climate control buttons, and vents are gunmetal.

I modified my climate control knobs so they are paintable...IMO more comfortable too (not as wide). But they dont light up anymore...oh well.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Sears. They're 1.99 apiece

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Yeah I copied Badmojo's paint a little over a year ago.. but with the duplicolor red instead of blue.. anyway.. here is a pic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts