Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im painting my calipers next week and was wonderind if anyone had any tips for me who have done theirs....like cleaning, what should all remove to paint, if should apply a base/primar coat...anything really would be helpful

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I cleaned off the calipers w/simple green. Then hosed them off and let them dry. Mask off stuff you don't want painted. Sprayed w/Plasticoat Engine Enamel and that was it.

Paint lasted the 3-years I had the car. The Engine Enamel is much cheaper than the "caliper paint" you buy at the store, and works just as well (if not better).

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
For a stock-looking paint job, it may be better to disassemble it. Make sure to either remove the pad and retaining clip, or not paint them. Otherwise it'll look goofy unless you're using black.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/showf...&PHPSESSID=

I used the Dupli-Color kit, like $14 from Wal-Mart. It comes with some caliper (brake) cleaner and some masking tape, just use an old tooth brush or wire brush to knock off the heavy stuff, and you're good to go. If you go that route, be careful of the Dupli-Color yellow kit - it looks bright yellow on the box, but it's "school bus" yellow in real life.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I like the "focus" on it... nice touch!

·
Krunktronik Tuner Goblin
3,346 Posts
I recently bought the DupliColor caliper painting kit, and it worked great.

It comes with some super strong brake cleaner, quart of paint, brush, and some other stuff. The paint goes on very nice and smooth, and was very simple to do. Just take your time.

I completely removed my calipers as well as the brake lines, and masked any threaded holes off. I'm a perfectonist, you don't have to do all that.

The kit was $20 at my local Discount Auto.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I painted my calipers about a month ago with Foliatec's brake enamel kit. I was concerned about doing it right, and worried I might do something wrong, but when it comes down to it, it's easy.

I put the car up on 4 jack stands, removed all the wheels, used a wire brush and brake cleaner to clean the calipers (until they were a nice silvery color and little to no dust came off of them when you brushed them).

Then, I masked (using the blue masking tape) any areas that I didn't want to get paint on, then I brushed the paint onto all the areas visible from the outside of the car. I didn't remove the calipers, brake lines, or anything crazy. I didn't even paint the insides of the caliper because this is an appearance mod, and you sure can't see te inside of the calipers unless your head is up underneath the car. I did 2 coats and they look great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts