Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
...If you mean the one around the inside door handle; you need to pop out that little cap, undo the screw (I think its a Torx), and then it pops out...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
i would also like to know this. i tried when i first did my interior but couldnt figure it out. i think you might have to take the whole door panel off or soemthing. or maybe it has some kind of clips. i dont know...i couldnt get it when i tried.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ahh...If the door panels are the same as on an 03, you need to remove the whole panel...First, remove all the torx screws around the panel, then pop the little cap I mentioned and remove that screw, pull off the door handle trim, then there is a small hole on the bottom of the pull-handle thing on the armrest which you need to stick a small flat-bladed screwdriver or similar tool into and twist to pop off the trim piece there, then undo the two screws...The door panel should then lift up and off...If you have manual windows, you will also need to remove the cranks...And all cars need the triangle sail covers removed (they come off by pulling)
Hopefully that helped better, and if anyone found it confusing, Ill try and clear things up...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I am talking about the plastic (silvergrey painted) that runs above the kidney shaped fabric insert.
Removing that piece is rather hard. Ford attached the plastic pieces in a number of ways on my car (this is after the door panel is off, I trust you can get that far from the above replies
):
1) Plastic from two sections of the plastic piece were bent through the cardboard backing that is on the back of the fabric insert.
2) Screwed in
3) Glued on using the same glue they use to hold the cardboard backing to the door.

<font color="red"> Warning & Note: </font>
When you go to tear off the fabric insert, DO NOT use a screw driver. I did and now I have holes in the vinyl that covers the door panel. Thankfully it is in a hidden place, but don't use a screw driver. I got the panels off by prying my hands through the back and pulling. It took me about 3 hours for each piece of fabric & backing, but it was worth it.

------------------------------------
<font color="red"> Another Option Entirely: </font>
Leave the door panels on, use painters tape (blue tape from Lowes/Home Depot) and with the help of newspaper, mask off EVERYTHING around the trim you want to paint. It may sound stupid or silly, but it made the painting of my car's rear door panels really easy.
------------------------------------
<font color="blue"> Door panel removal </font>
1) take out the torex screws around the door
2) pop open the door handle cover
3) Inside the handle at the top and bottom should be two circular holes with philips screws inside (2-3 inches deep). Unscrew These.
4) If there is a philips screw in the door in a different place, remove that as well (one of my door panels had an additional screw on the surface).
5) Remove the black plastic "triangle thingy" from the top of the door. It should come off with a "snap" sound as it is held in/on with pressure clips.
6) If you still
7) Pry the door off from the bottom up. The top part of the door will need some encouraging to get it to initially move, but with a quick tug, it should come loose.

Putting the door back on: Same but reverse :p I hope somewhere in this half page rambling that I said something that could be usefull, best of luck and be sure to put some pics up of the finished product.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts