Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Painting my \"baby\"...

I've had numerous people ask me where I got my car painted so I thought I'd share these photos.

I painted the car myself back in May in my father's 2-car garage using Dupont Chromabase 2-stage paint. Here are some pix of the steps in painting it. Hope you enjoy them...

Here's the car taped up and ready for paint. This was one of the most time consuming parts. After taping it up I scuffed the whole thing with a grey Scotch-Brite pad to roughen the surface...

The next most time consuming part was laying out the graphics. I started with a mylar "template" which I taped on the car and drew out (prior to painting) so I could get the graphics fine-tuned. As you can see here, I simply taped it into position and it gave me a "guide" to tape to...

After getting the "template" in place, I used blue 1/4" fine-line tape to tape off the graphics.

Here it is, ready for the gray paint...

Here's me spraying the bumper. Dad followed me around with a little spot light to double check paint coverage...

Using the blue fine-line tape, here I am taping off the area to be black...

Here's the car ready for the black paint...

After this, I sprayed the clearcoat with blue "flake" over just this black area...

Then I removed all of the tape and cleared both sides and back of the car. No pix of this, but it turned out nice and shiny!!

Here's me wet/sanding and dad doin' some buffing...this part seemed to take forever. My clear was kinda rough on this side so I ended up redoing this side a couple weeks later.

Here's the final project all complete...

All in all it was a fun experience for my first paint job. I've got well over 65 hours in this and I can say that I truly appreciate what custom painters do. Anyway, let me know if you have any questions or comments.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Re: Painting my \"baby\"...

Please don't make posts like this, you may convince me that I can do stuff like this.

Just kidding, dude, that is awesome!
Exactly!! I don't have the balls to do that to a new car, but if I ever pick up another beater, I'll be sure to seek some advice from you!

·
Registered
329 Posts

I want to know what those lowering springs were that you used. I know they aren't in circ anymore but I might be able to find someone selling them on the Jet or on clubFOCUS. By the way, car looks good man. What kind of compressor did you use, a dual stage>? I want to do some graphics on my FOCI, but dont think the compressor i have now will cut it. -ERic

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

Sweet pics tony...I know exactly where you are coming from on the prep work and sanding taking forever...It does. Peace

Lox

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I want to know what those lowering springs were that you used. I know they aren't in circ anymore but I might be able to find someone selling them on the Jet or on clubFOCUS. By the way, car looks good man. What kind of compressor did you use, a dual stage>? I want to do some graphics on my FOCI, but dont think the compressor i have now will cut it. -ERic
The springs are from SC Racing...2.5" drop! As for the compressor, it's a 6 HP CRAFTSMAN.

·
Registered
110 Posts

what kind of gun did you use?.. I'm just starting out with my first projects and kind of curious

·
Registered
46 Posts

what is the name for that gray that u used? its awesome. nice work man i give

·
Registered
3,022 Posts

I'm not a big fan of graphic designs on cars...but I have to say your car looks tastefully done. Great job!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

First off...thanks to all of you for the compliments. I've had this color scheme idea in my head since I bought the car, but I redisigned the graphics about 30 times or so until I got something that 1) I thought I could tackle as a rookie painter and 2) that I felt would compliment the car well without going overboard.

To answer a couple questions...

what kind of gun did you use?.. I'm just starting out with my first projects and kind of curious
I used a DeVilbiss "FinshLine" conventional gravity feed gun. It works great and is reasonably priced.

what is the name for that gray that u used?
I'll have to check for sure, but I do know that it is a Ford color. I took the DuPont color book out to my car and matched it to the gun metal wheels.

Thanks again to everyone...FOCALJET is a great source of inspiration!

·
Registered
242 Posts

Yours is by far my fav for paint design.

Also awesome job that you could do it yourself.

Can't ever see enough of that side angle shot of the finished job.Thanks for the write up.

rich

·
Registered
1,238 Posts

I've got the same devilbiss gun and its a great starter tool...Try it you'll like it, you have to be bold to do your own paint. Peace

Lox

1 - 20 of 23 Posts