Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some interiors with painted driver and passenger cupholders and I think they look awesome. The only problem is that I dont know what type of paint and primer to use because they are rubber and them being able to be squeezed and stuff doesnt make them chip? I would think that spray painting rubber would be near to impossible to keep from chipping and cracking...am I wrong? Any suggestion on how I could go about startin this project?

·
Registered
277 Posts
some of the cup holders are plastic. Not sure which ones*model/year* (I know mine are). You might want to see about getting some of those if you are wanting to paint them.

·
Registered
521 Posts
it's a cupholder...apply your time else where...

·
Registered
561 Posts
I did mine and they turned out great. But my cup holders are plastic. I don't really use them, thats why I painted them. I used plasticote engine enamel paint. I used primer, them paint then I cleared it all with the engine enamel paint and they look really good. I just kept them out of the car for like a week to get rid of the paint smell and to let the paint cure.

Mike

·
Registered
556 Posts

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
2000-2001 foci have a completely different center council with plastic cup holders. In 2002 the came out with a new consul that has rubber cup holders, and moves the cup holders back slightly so u can squeeze a bigger cup in before it hits the dash. So to do this you would need a new consul with plastic cup holders, and u also wont be able to fit as big a cup in there any more.

BTW is there a way to bleach and dye rubber instead of painting it?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
My 2001 has Plastic cup holders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts