Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to paint my wheels black on my SVT Focus. Tell me everything you guys think I need to know about this particlar project. Thanks!

·
Not A Texan!
420 Posts
seeing as I have done this, first of know that you must make sure there is NO tire wet or any other chemicals of the sort on the wheel. Next, you will need at least 2 cans of primer, 2 cans of paint, and 2 cans of clearcoat. The clearcoat is necessary to bring out the glossy shine and protect the black from chipping away in rain, from rocks, etc. Also, use many light coats instead of heavy coats to avoid "fisheyes" and runs or drips. Good luck!

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts
is it good to take a whole day to do this or more ???

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I painted my 17 inch Motegis flat black in about 4 hours and slapped them back on. used about 5 cans of spray.. and all i did was remove the center caps

·
Not A Texan!
420 Posts
is it good to take a whole day to do this or more ???
If you set aside a whole day to do this, you will most likely take your time and do it right. Forgot three more details: EXTENSIVELY clean and dry those wheels, front and back, make sure you have the wheels off the car while painting them, and paint the back side first, since that part isn't AS visible, but make sure you do paint the backs. I hate seeing wheels painted black, bronze, etc. and still seeing the original color behind the spokes.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I used Duplicolor wheel paint. Didnt use primer or clear. They have a nice gloss to them. I cleaned them with dish soap, let em dry, sanded them with a kind high grit sanding sponge, taped the tires off, then sprayed a bunch of light coats. I kinda made them a little heavier towards the final coats. Check my sig for the pic. Did that about 6 months ago and they are holding up nicely. L8er Jon

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts
drying time between coats ?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Not sure, i dont really reemember. Im sure it gives a reommendation on the can. L8er, Jon

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I painted my 17 inch Motegis flat black in about 4 hours and slapped them back on. used about 5 cans of spray.. and all i did was remove the center caps
Is there a special way to take the center caps off? I don't want to get paint on the SVT logo.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Is there a special way to take the center caps off? I don't want to get paint on the SVT logo.
They just pop out, hit em from the inside of the cap with a screwdriver or something

Get us some pics when its finished

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's a little more expensive, but have you considered powder coating them?? I'm going to have some stock 15's powder coated in gloss black, for winter wheels. The guy at the shop told me that it would cost about $35/wheel. Just something to think about....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's a little more expensive, but have you considered powder coating them?? I'm going to have some stock 15's powder coated in gloss black, for winter wheels. The guy at the shop told me that it would cost about $35/wheel. Just something to think about....
Yes, there's a powder coating shop right next to my work. I'm thinking about going there to get a quote. I'm willing to bet they're not going to put my car on a lift, take the tires off, and then powder coat the wheel.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The guy at the powder coating shop I contacted told me to bring in the just the wheels, with any weights removed. They would handle all cleaning and prep work. I was also told in order for them to do the job properly, they would want to have the wheels for about 3 day, if I remember correctly, to allow for proper curing time, etc.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The guy at the powder coating shop I contacted told me to bring in the just the wheels, with any weights removed. They would handle all cleaning and prep work. I was also told in order for them to do the job properly, they would want to have the wheels for about 3 day, if I remember correctly, to allow for proper curing time, etc.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I don't have a lift or jack stands so I'm S.O.L. on that. I can spraypaint very well so I'm not to worried about the end result.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
spraypaint? What type of spraypaint? And is it like, weather proof, can they take wear n tear?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
spraypaint? What type of spraypaint? And is it like, weather proof, can they take wear n tear?
On the first page somebody reccomended Duplicolor Wheel Paint. I also know somebody that owns a custom paint shop so I can get some high temp paint for a good price or maybe free.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I used to powder paint for years and umm there is no curing time after the wheels come out of the oven, unless you consider letting the parts cool off a curing time?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I would normally give you a link to my how-to on wheel painting, but my whole web site is off-line for awhile. Search in the wheel/brake discussion and you'll see more posts on this (including my own).
I don't have a lift or jack stands so I'm S.O.L. on that. I can spraypaint very well so I'm not to worried about the end result.
I dunno man, sounds like you're not really prepared to do it right
You've gotta know someone who can help out? Maybe instead of spending $20-30-40 on all the right paint etc., you should invest in a jack and some stands. No flame intended, just tryin' to help a brudda out...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts