Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I drove over to Pectel today and took a test drive of their turbo zx3. The kit (except for the piping to the filter and to the intake) looks completely OEM. They did their best to make this setup resemble OEM look and power, and I will say, they hit their target dead on the mark. This kit has no noticeable lag, and great power available at 3k when you punch it. The kit comes with 30lb injectors and is managed by a Pectel T2. The stock manifold is used as the the turbo manifold, which IMO is a good thing, because if it ever cracks, it's cheap and easy to replace. They were able to hid the full turbo setup behind the stock heat shield. (OEM look). The turbo pushes a max of 9PSI and is intercooled. The cost (I believe) is going to be mid 5K, but I'm not sure the exact price. I'll start with the details:

This is their flyer for the kit:

Cut and Paste for full size image:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid74/pbb8dd98a757407e1f3a10185a943c26c/fb609223.jpg.orig.jpg

The turbo is a T25 series garrett turbo:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid74/p6f4e868c7fe99e796909ae7743efe3f5/fb60921c.jpg.orig.jpg

The power to the ground is: 186.93whp and 200.28ft/lbs. Peak torque is at 3800 RPM's. It could be sooner, I'm not sure at what RPM they started at..

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid74/p930c7105e61cd3cceb233a22aaec2920/fb609370.jpg.orig.jpg

And as I said before, it looks OEM on the exhaust side. The tubing kind of gives it away:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid74/p2f1164ebd7b195f35e8a7d54eab1302c/fb6093e6.jpg.orig.jpg

Ok now the driving impressions. First off, the car idles perfectly. I mean it idles way better than my SVT. The exhaust note is beautifully low. The car can induce wheel spin in 1st if you stab the throttle, but cruise in second or third at about 3K RPM's and stab it, and it just takes off. Power delivery is very smooth, there is no lag kick in the pants like you get with larger turbos. All in all, this kit is excellent. It will not compare to Toms in dollar for power, but at the same time, you're getting a T2 and will be able to tune your own setup. (On a side note, you'll also be able to screw up your own setup). The only things I believe this kit should have that it doesn't is a Bypass valve and maybe a little bit larger turbo. But there is plenty of tubing to mount your own bypass whereever you like. And the turbo they picked was for no lag OEM like power.

I have a few pictures of the car as well. But there's not a hole bunch to see. Let me know if you have any questions:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289390077&idx=10

CCC - How'd I do???

·
Registered
112 Posts
great another turbo kit to think about all day that ill never be able to afford, but hey miricles can happen right? but yeah that looks like a beautiful kit, everything that was talked about it being, i think for reliability it would be pretty sweet. must win lottery

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You did a great job...thats good to hear that theres anohter kit on the market. Except how come they didn't have a SVT-T??? Are they looking into a SVT kit too???

Now when you say "9psi max" is that really the max of the turbo set up??? I mean you could still do all the things to lower compression, increase boost, etc in order to gain more power...right?

So whats you're overall opinion of the kit...I knwo you mentioned its not as good as Tom's hp/dollar, but as a contender in the market for Turbo Foci???

*EDIT*
You also need to tell me how you got to test drive this prototype...you lucky B!!!

CCC

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha.. well I am friends with a couple guys over at Pectel. So that's how I got that priveledge.
Overall impression of the kit is, it's an excellent kit. Tuned perfectly and I personally can't see any other kit delivering the power as smoothly as this one. Although I suspect an aerocharger would be close.

Yes 9 PSI is where it's "set" at. But absolutely not the max of the turbo. But as you can see, the turbo is running out of breath in the high end, so if you increase the boost on the current turbo, you'll get more low end power, but the top will fall on it's face.

Driving the car was a blast. I was kind of depressed to get back into my SVT, but oh well. And they are making an SVT kit as well. That kit should be ready near the end of September. At least that's what they told me. We'll see how it pans out. But they are using a larger turbo for the SVT. Althought it will still only be a T28 (still very small).

If I were to buy a kit, I would buy this one because of the Pectel. You get to do datalogging and any changes to the turbo setup can easily be tuned assuming you know what your doing. But heck, once you have the pectel you can screw around with it, and learn it

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Haha.. well I am friends with a couple guys over at Pectel. So that's how I got that priveledge.
Overall impression of the kit is, it's an excellent kit. Tuned perfectly and I personally can't see any other kit delivering the power as smoothly as this one. Although I suspect an aerocharger would be close.

Yes 9 PSI is where it's "set" at. But absolutely not the max of the turbo. But as you can see, the turbo is running out of breath in the high end, so if you increase the boost on the current turbo, you'll get more low end power, but the top will fall on it's face.

Driving the car was a blast. I was kind of depressed to get back into my SVT, but oh well. And they are making an SVT kit as well. That kit should be ready near the end of September. At least that's what they told me. We'll see how it pans out. But they are using a larger turbo for the SVT. Althought it will still only be a T28 (still very small).

If I were to buy a kit, I would buy this one because of the Pectel. You get to do datalogging and any changes to the turbo setup can easily be tuned assuming you know what your doing. But heck, once you have the pectel you can screw around with it, and learn it
Thats great news...I'm soooo excited now...can't wait to hear more on their kit, maybe more pics and a vid!?!?

CCC

·
Registered
7,351 Posts
Also, it looks as if they have cut it close with injector sizing. So if you wanted to upgrade you would also have to invest into some new injectors. I wonder what the rational was for putting the air cleaner back into the hot engine bay without a shield? I mean if you're going to suck in hot air, heat it up more, and then try to intercool it you're killing the efficency.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Damn you David... lucky bastid.

Can't wait to see what the SVTF numbers look like!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
186 HP on 9psi? geesh. My home built kit makes 198.0 and 200.0 ft lbs on 7psi The kit looks tp be good quality. We'll wait and see how it performs.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I think the kit looks nice. I don't really care about using the stock exhaust manifold part. I guess they needed to cut a corner to make the kit affordable. I was looking into getting a GT30-R turbo. What do you think about that size of a turbo?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
lourenco there are much better turbos out there than the GT30-R for what you want to do

Tom
What does he want to use it for...?

CCC

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
That kit looks really good, looks like custom bent pipes instead of cut and weld. Really professional.

The only thing I have to caution people about is their customer support is very crappy. The Pectel T2 is a very professional looking system... but it doesn't work right, and I'm going on 10 months with NO help from them.

Buying an entire turbo system from them could be risky. If it works good, great, if you have any problems... you'll be in the same boat as Gude customers.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
You can search for the long story.

Short version:

-Decel fuel cutoff and narrowband O2 feedback programs are flawed, and do not work correctly.

-Pectel USA's technical support is very poor. They didn't do anything in 8 months I worked with them.

-Pectel UK currently is working on the problem, 2 months, nothing yet. Although they have confirmed I discovered a software bug.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I don't know what challenges will arise when they send one map to all foci users, but I do know that the car that I drove ran perfectly. But I've not spent the time that P51 has with the pectel.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
hey rob, have you heard about some new wideband gauge that is out now that is for sale for pretty cheap?

I forgot the name but its a wideband o2 sensor, all the wiring, a digital box display, can hook up to a laptop to record data and show a/f curves and other stuff, its pretty cool, i saw it in some hotrod magazine ad page but forgot the name, and its only like $400 for everything....just wondering

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Looks nice. Along with Toms I think this is the only setup that is an actual kit. I like this system because they give you a good setup for the stock internals that should be nuts reliable for all applications but also the upgrade path is very clear and easy. Bigger turbo, bigger injectors, rework maps on dyno. Assuming the base map is setup well it should be very straight forward.

·
Registered
556 Posts
infared & I are going to buy lotto tickets now

·
Registered
744 Posts
Pipe? What pipe? You mean my super duper AEM Long tube 4-2-1 CAI intake? It only adds like 2 horsepower ...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts