Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I had to revert back to N/A without even getting to try F/I because of the problems I was having. While I figure out what is wrong with my setup be it the turbo or the way the oil pump is setup I need my car back. I swapped out the 55# injectors and replaced them with the stock injectors and loaded a program that came with the pectel for stock n/a. The car seems like it's not getting gas during startup as it feels like its' being cutoff and won't start. It started but stumbled during idle with the 55#'s why would it have this problem with the stock injectors?. I checked and everything is plugged in correctly any ideas P-51?.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Which file did you use? Email it to me and I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
515 Posts
do you still have your vaccum gauge connected?... will it idle with your foot a little on the gas?... is the map you are using called FOCUSTPS??? are you still using the factory ecu to run the fuel pump or the pectel?

re-read the Map Details for the map you are running and see if you notice something there

good luck

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Drabert it is called FocusTps and I left the pectel running the fuel pump. P-51 when I get home tonight I will e-mail you the program. The vacuum gauge is still connected and with my foot on the pedal it won't start either.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I'll download the software here at work. FocusTPS came with the software on the website right?

First question: is the Pectel physically capable of running the engine? Has it ever successfully run? If you haven't even hooked it up yet, then we're wasting time looking the maps.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, when I was having the problem with the mocal oil pump it was working fine, even after putting the cat and stock exhaust mani it was working fine with the 55#'s using the Turbo map and the stock injectors map. When I switched the pectel to the Focustps map the car started fine with the 55's but was revving up and down between 800-1900 rpm's so I thought it was injector related and put the stock injectors on and now it won't start. The program that is flashed to the pectel ecu is the Focustps. The software is the one that came with the pectel.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I looked last night to see if I had a map that would work for you, but I don't think I have them anymore.

I'll check out that TPS one.

All the Pectel maps had significant problems. IIRC, the turbo one was better, even for a non-turbo car.

·
Registered
515 Posts
do you have access to a wideband? that might be a stupid question but you could run the turbo map with the 19lb injectors if you just turn the injectors down... maybe use the mulitplier and plug in as your multiplier 19/55... in theory that should work
keep us posted

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
There is are nuances as to why you shouldn't try to turn large injectors down, as a rule. The voltage compensation, for example, will get messed up. It can work in a pinch, but if you are going to spend time tuning, you should do it with that set to 1.

PR, how well was it running when you had the turbo? Was it idling? Or driving around? If you had it driving around, put the 55's in and run that map. Edit: CAREFULLY, DON'T DO FULL THROTTLE UNTIL IT'S TUNED!!!

If all you did was get it idling, chances are you still won't be able to drive on it.

With stock injectors and that TPS map:

I looked at the map, off the top of my head I think the Base Fuel In Crank is out of whack. It is 2.5 at 5* and reduced to 2.0 at 10* then 0 by 70*.

Change that to be 10.0 at 5* right through to 70* then set it to zero. You said you thought it wasn't getting enough fuel, and I think you're right. Crank it, and if it won't fire, slowly step on the throttle and keep cranking. Eventually it will reach an A/F where it will fire. Reduce that 10.0 by a suitable amount and keep trying until it will fire on it's own.

The preliminary injection is also a little low, but all that will do is make it turn over a few extra times before firing. You can sort that out later. Basically, that just "primes" the motor to fire.

The "base fuel in crank" is how much fuel it injects while cranking. Once it fires, it goes to the base fuel map.

Here's a tip: the two T6 maps both have excellent F1 help functions on most of the functions, and many of them are the same as the the T2 functions.

Load those maps, and read through as many as you can.

Why they put help screens on the T6 maps and not T2, is a mystery to me, when you consider the T6 is sold to professional race teams, and the T2 is sold to beginners.

Another stupid Pectel thing they never fixed. I pointed it out in my Pectel manifesto years ago.

Once it fires, if the idle is all over, go in and turn "closed loop idle" to "disabled".

That's a very difficult function to program, and I bet they got it wrong. This will stabilize the idle, but it still won't be great. It won't respond to weather changes, etc...

The closed loop idle is way too complicated to explain, I'd have to fix it myself.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, unfortunately I could not get around it today because of my daughter's activities. I will try it out tomorrow afternoon and let you guys know how it went.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
I looked at my current map. My base fuel in crank is 3.0, and that is with 42lb injectors. Based on that, I'd try 6-7 on yours with the stock injectors.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I tried 6 and 7, this is what happens. The car cranks it starts and after 3 seconds it shuts off. I think something is cutting the fuel off. I checked the button by the passenger kick side and that is ok. The 15 amp fuse in the fuse box looks ok. I can't pull out the white covered fuse that relates to gas in the fuse box. I'm trying to see if something is wrong with a fuse. What else could be causing this?. I'm about to revert to stock ecu to rule out the maps, is this a good idea?. I no longer have the stock piece to put the maf back so I might just plug it in and put it in the plastic tube just for test purposes.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
The car will run on the stock ECU with NO MAF. Temporary, limp home mode.

But, I really think it's your maps. Once it starts, it goes to the main map, and that is all wrong also. I think it needs a lot more fuel than what they have.

Honestly, if you thought this thing would run out of the box, and you don't know how to fix it... you're going to have a really tough time.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks P, I'll see if it works. The only reason why I think I have a short somewhere is that before the car would stay on with no problems and just by swapping the injectors this started happening. Also, about 2 years ago I was going to install a potentiometer to raise fuel manually like a friend of mine does with his foci and I had spliced into the wires in the plug that goes into the transducer and when I disconnected the plug to put the stock injectors back on I noticed the tape had come off. I was thinking that if the 2 wires made contact it could of shorted something somewhere causing the fuel cutoff problem. That is why I want to see if it would start with the stock ECU to eliminate that from the equation. Also I know that I will have more problems later on with tuning as I don't know of anyone here in Puerto Rico that has experience with the pectel so I expect to ask more questions down the road.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
P, to run my test do I need to unplug all of the plugs from the pectel or would just switching the fuel cable back to the stock ecu do?.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ran the tests you were right on the money P, it cranked, started and remained on. Even the check engine light went away. What I still can't figure out is why it would start with the 55#'s and not with the stock injectors using the pectel. This obviously gives me optimism as I know nothing is wrong with the car and since I got the turbo back I will start again to try to get it going F/I again. Be prepared P for my next questions. Thanks you the man

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have the Pectel running my ZX3 N/A right now while waiting for my new turbo kit to be built. I run 42lb injectors and the car runs great, idles awesome at 14 to 14.7, WOT is about 10.5 to 11. Cold weather, blistering hot no issues, air conditioning even works great. I can send you the file if you'd like, maybe ask P-51 about adjusting for 55lb.

Note: I am running 8-1 pistons and Crower Cams 283 duration, 420 lift, 94 octane fuel.

Keith

1 - 20 of 34 Posts