Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Increase in timing requires higher octane fuel which the chips alter timing..

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by artin:
unless you have a AUTOMATIC or a high number of engin mods dont get a chip it is a waste of money
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree with this as well...It is not necessary to increase the rev limit unless your running a race car as we make no power above the rev limit...I say there is no need to take off the governer unless your FI because you will never pass that limit in the 1/4 mile...and its plain unsafe to be taking up that high on the freeway..

·
Registered
591 Posts
Originally posted by FocusOnMyZeTec:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by artin:
unless you have a AUTOMATIC or a high number of engin mods dont get a chip it is a waste of money
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree with this as well...It is not necessary to increase the rev limit unless your running a race car as we make no power above the rev limit...I say there is no need to take off the governer unless your FI because you will never pass that limit in the 1/4 mile...and its plain unsafe to be taking up that high on the freeway..</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
BIG BROTHAAAA U!!!!!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Originally posted by artin:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I do have an automatic, and i do plan to eventually do some more mods to my engine. Im thinkin maybe in the future ill buy a chip after my mods are complete.
Thanks for your assistance
Justin

·
Registered
53 Posts
my car was made in dec of 99...thus it is a 2000...i hit 108 mph the other day...it didn't seem to want to halt ...do the 2000 makes have the 130 or 140 govenor?

·
Registered
591 Posts
ALL of the focuses have the governor set at 108-110 ( it varys)

i dont see why you need the govorner cut are you going faster than 108 in the 1/4? i highley doubt it

leave it there it might save your life

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Not my SVT

·
Registered
148 Posts
Our Focus's are not limited at all well I get 215 km +- 134mph No problem.

You need th UK spec chip

·
Registered
970 Posts
I was looking at the various types of chips and they all said to use 91 octane or higher gas. Why is that necessary?

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
The chip isn't totally useless on 5 speed cars. While it only gave me about 1.5-2hp on the Dyno, it improved low speed drivability immensely from 1-3KRPM. Without the chip there are stumbles and low power down there... chip fixes them.

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Originally posted by OmniFocus:
The chip isn't totally useless on 5 speed cars. While it only gave me about 1.5-2hp on the Dyno, it improved low speed drivability immensely from 1-3KRPM. Without the chip there are stumbles and low power down there... chip fixes them.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Exactly!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Cajun also posted the results of their quarter mile tests, which you should be able to find with search. They found that both DiabloSport and Superchip chips dropped quarter mile time by, I think, 0.4 seconds, for MTX Focuses. Not huge, but reasonable for a non-custom chip. I'm happy with my Superchip, and I have LFQ1. My main interest, though, was getting rid of the silly speed restriction.

[ 11-07-2002, 11:00 AM: Message edited by: MattHarrell ]

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
I have a Diablo for my LFQ0 car and just the throttle response from removing the tip in was worth it. I've noticed a change in my power curves as well, it feels a lot stronger in the low to mid range. It might not measure much on a dyno but it changed the feel of the car immensly. For my daily driving it feels much sportier.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'd love to fix the low end stumbles but don't want the premium restriction. at 30K+ miles a year it adds up. Crap. This may also be a silly question but did the chip affect mileage (independent of you driving faser now) I really just want a chip to smooth the car out and give me better mileage. My 82 Volvo wagon gets 2 mpg better with the exact same driving and it weights 3100 lbs. Oh well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My mileage went up by about 2 mpg, so it does offset the cost of premium gas a little. Getting an extra 25-30 miles from a tank is also nice. If you have a manual the improvements are modest, but since I've got an ATX just the change in shift points was well worth the cost.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When you own a stock car the ECU is designed to handle the lowest octane gas available 85/87. Installing a performance chip like I did, will adjust your timing and fire your spark plugs earlier to take advantage of the higher octance gas. Another advantage that was mentioned above is, automatic transmission owners will like chip more because it controls the shifting. The shift points are different dependent on the amount of throttle given. 95% of chip owners see a 1-2% increase in MPG. A 10 percent increase in horse power is expected and faster responses to throttle inputs. The speed limiter on my ZTS was 108 and rev limiter was 6,250 rpm. Once I installed my chip the rev limiter was raised to 7,100 and there's NO speed limiter. Chips can be dangerous. It's your choice to make.

2003 FORD FOCUS ZTS, ZETEC, DIABLO CHIP, CAI, MAGNAFLO CAT BACK, FRONT SWAY BAR, XENON BULBS, FLOOD LIGHT MOD and EUROPEAN TAIL LIGHTS

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
ok im getting tired of people talking this and that like they actually tested the parts

I dynoed a diablo chip, many times

NO top end in my tests, but interestingly, the reason people think it drives better, is because up to about 3200rpm, there is a bit of torque gain, sometimes up to 6-8ft/lb due to the tip in timing changes...i noticed no timing change at WOT, which kinda sux, maybe it was just my chip, it does cut back a bit of fuel on the top end, however, in my aplication, since i was runing out of fuel anyways, this hurt, but it may help in a less modded car...

It also doesnt raise the rev limiter, only softens the stock one so you feel like you can go a bit higher

1 - 20 of 22 Posts