Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the dyno shop the CFL team just did a dyno tune event at the guy that ran things there kept recomending the greddy e-manage fuel piggy back system. and his reason where, low in the rpm range all of our cars ran a little lean, then in the mid rpm's it was full of mountians and peaks, and then high in the power band it leveled off and ran rich. He said that with tunning the fuel map and having more of a solid line that we could all gain about 10 whp. I know that our ECU relearns bigger MAF and injectors, but would something like this help?

E-manage

·
Registered
389 Posts
He said that with tunning the fuel map and having more of a solid line that we could all gain about 10 whp. I know that our ECU relearns bigger MAF and injectors, but would something like this help?
First, the ECU doesn't learn or relearn MAF settings. They are set in a table (Transfer Function) and that is a base for fuel calculations. Second, the ECU can adjust for bigger injectors up to a point. During closed loop mode (not WOT) it is monitoring the O2 sensors and changing STFT and LTFT values. The fuel trim values are used to adjust the injector timing for either more or less injector open time. Bigger injectors call for less open time to supply the same amount of fuel. There are limits to how much it can adjust. It should be able to handle 24 lb/hr injectors, but that's about it for the stock program. I think the limit is plus or minus 25% adjustment in the Fuel Trim tables.

As far as the AFR shown for the dyno runs, there is small lag time in the AFR readings. Lean at the start is where you are coming out of closed loop mode. You should have been running at 14.7:1 there. The mountains and peaks (depending on how big they are) may be the result of the fuel enrichment caused by the quick throttle opening going to WOT. And how rich are you talking about at WOT? If you are all motor and your goal is 12.5:1 and your actual is 11.5:1 I don't think you are talkin 10 hp here. I'm not saying that better fuel management wouldn't ever help. You just need to look at the whole picture. The stock ECU has been used by Jetters to post some really good numbers. Fuel management is usually needed most in a forced induction situation. One question. Does this guy sell and install the e-manage system?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Yeah, this guy sells them. But he's a really nice guy and it was just an honest suggestion to us, I think. I mean the guy drives a 10 second Supra to work, so I think $100 profit on one of these things isn't really going to change his life.

Well this topic will go on my "I don't know jack [censored] about" list. Current have:
Suspension
Fuel Managment
ICE

1 - 3 of 3 Posts