Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People who own modified cars and how they\'re perceived.

How do you all deal with the 'stigma' that comes along with owning a modified car?
I've been having a hard time dealing with this one lately, as I'm not exactly the 'typical' modded car owner.
What are your thoughts/opinions and how do you deal with it?

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
Re: People who own modified cars and how they\'re perceived.

I've noticed no stigma.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Are you a woman in your early twenties with a modded Focus (and two Civics) that she uses for a baby hauler?

Maybe this is a question better suited for teh Ladies of the Jet?

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts

I will say that on the way home from JF, we got pulled over in Winnemuca, NE. Emily was driving, and it is her car. I can say with almost certainty that if I had been driving, we would of gotten a ticket instead of being let off. They treated her like she didn't even know what I had done to the car (even though I've still yet to do much to her car, its all her). So yeah, I can see a difference in how you gals and not normal "tuners" might be percieved.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

i just kinda take it in....you've gotta know your stuff though or you get treated like [censored]....

i was at Sheetz the one night with a friend of mine, and i had my car, i was pulling in a spot and was on a slight incline and since my car is stick i drifted back a little when i went to straighten myself out, so i could pull in the spot and wheni got out of the car there was a group of guys standing around their "cool" hondas
and the one was like "OMG she can drive stick" and i turned around and smirked at him and then he yelled "bitch" and got pissy...i did absolutly nothing for him to say that.

i guess you just kinda have to deal with it, it doesn't help to yell or fight back b/c most guys will always think girls don'g belong in the sport compact world, let alone any part of the car world

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts

i just kinda take it in....you've gotta know your stuff though or you get treated like [censored]....

i was at Sheetz the one night with a friend of mine, and i had my car, i was pulling in a spot and was on a slight incline and since my car is stick i drifted back a little when i went to straighten myself out, so i could pull in the spot and wheni got out of the car there was a group of guys standing around their "cool" hondas
and the one was like "OMG she can drive stick" and i turned around and smirked at him and then he yelled "bitch" and got pissy...i did absolutly nothing for him to say that.

i guess you just kinda have to deal with it, it doesn't help to yell or fight back b/c most guys will always think girls don'g belong in the sport compact world, let alone any part of the car world
Guys like that are the dumb bastiges who think Girls/ women belong in the kitchen/ house. I hate that attitude.

Just shrug them off then make sure some how if its at the track that they know that your car can own theirs

·
Banned
926 Posts

Since my car looks completely stock. I get no strange looks or questions.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

Guys like that are the dumb bastiges who think Girls/ women belong in the kitchen/ house. I hate that attitude.

Just shrug them off then make sure some how if its at the track that they know that your car can own theirs
my car isn't fast enough right now! but it will be!! and then we'll see whose making jokes...

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

xMandax, are you female also? I don't post too much here anymore so I don't recognize your name.

There are a lot of things I can hold my own on, but some things I am still completely clueless on. I'm learning!

I totaly agree that most guys seem to think woman don't belong anywhere in the car world... but I guess that's not really where my 'problem' is. I get a lot of doubletakes at stoplights and such, but as far as personaly other 'tuner's that I know (friends of my husband's) seem to think that it's pretty cool that I'm even interested in this stuff.

I just don't think I'm taken seriously pulling up to my daughter's hockey game or Brownie meeting or PTO meeting in this:
But I suppose there really isn't anything I can do to change that is there.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Shouldn't you be painting a certain house instead of hot rodding around Nells?

Dude it's like 10:00 at night! Kind of hard to see what I'm painting when it's dark out

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

xMandax, are you female also? I don't post too much here anymore so I don't recognize your name.

There are a lot of things I can hold my own on, but some things I am still completely clueless on. I'm learning!

I totaly agree that most guys seem to think woman don't belong anywhere in the car world... but I guess that's not really where my 'problem' is. I get a lot of doubletakes at stoplights and such, but as far as personaly other 'tuner's that I know (friends of my husband's) seem to think that it's pretty cool that I'm even interested in this stuff.

I just don't think I'm taken seriously pulling up to my daughter's hockey game or Brownie meeting or PTO meeting in this:
But I suppose there really isn't anything I can do to change that is there.
yea im a girl..haha ive seen you post a couple times.. its prolly alot different for me though, im only almost 19 so im young still and most guys don't understand my facination with cars, but the ones that do really respect me for it. I guess it depends on how comfortable the guy is with himself wether or not he can handle girls in the tuner world...I say ignore them, its your hobby, just like its mine....well its more of my life at this point in time, but it shouldn't be frowned apon b/c its what you like to do.

·
Liter-a-cola? I measure my drinks in YARDS!
9,786 Posts

Nells, no one takes any of us seriously... we drive Focus's.
some do once we lap them out on track....

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

that bothers me too...why are we any different than people that mod civics, cavaliers, and any other car in the same class? it makes no sense to me.....ricers

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

you do speak the truth oh wise Jeff!

xmandax, I am only 22 so I'm still pretty young yet too.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

that bothers me too...why are we any different than people that mod civics, cavaliers, and any other car in the same class? it makes no sense to me.....ricers
I guess this all depends on the people you are talking about/with. My original intentions with the Focus was to trade in my van and get something more 'fun' and moddable. The focus definetly fit that definition. I was very nervous however, having a tuner husband who owned Civics, CRXs, a sentra se-r etc and his import friends. I haven't heard half as many negative comments as I originaly expected to hear (because it's a Ford).

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

i didn't realize you were that young, not saying that i thought you were old or anything, just though like 25-26ish...

·
Banned
6,369 Posts

I kinda know what you are talking about... I have ricer fog lights and HIDs and I think when people see them in the rear view mirror they prolly think I'm a punk kid...

But alas I'm just your average old white guy.

·
Professor PowerSlide
5,944 Posts

OK the plan is compete

1 - 20 of 52 Posts