Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some info for anyone, i can obtaim Phantom Grips lower than any internet price around. dont want to get this post locked so just pm me. thx

EDIT!

Just FYI - This thread should kinda be locked because you're not supposed to advertise outside of Classifieds... BUT this is a good discussion so I'm putting it back. It was earlier moved. Now it's back. Please continue to discuss phantom grip Vs the competition - it was a good discussion!

[ 09-07-2002: Message edited by: ax0n ]</p>

·
Registered
222 Posts
Whats a Phantom Grip?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Focus owners are blessed, we can get Quaiffe's for our car for less than $600 that's cheaper than any other car they make diff's for... there's no reason whatsoever or excuse for not getting a Quaiffe if you need to change your diff... They have lifetime warranties, and I have never heard of any problems at all with them...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
but if your going to spend the money in labor to do the job... why not spend the $320 more and get a btter differential, lifetime warranty, something that will never wear out or break (the phantom will eventually)

·
Registered
717 Posts
I believe the Phantom Grip diff just locks the two sides together. It's not automatically torque-biasing like the Torsen or Quaife units.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Quaiffe's warranty is limited to this... It must be installed in the right type of car, and there must be fluid in the trans. THAT'S IT!!! What I have said should be taken as Fact... There is no reason whatsoever that anyone, and I really mean anyone should install a phantom grip in a focus... the major cost of installing the LSD is the labor cost anyway... seriously though nobody should consider any differential other than the Quaiffe for a focus, it's just plain stupid and uneconomical, and if you don't see why, then go ahead get the phantom grip and have fun... especially when parts from your stock diff break, because the stock diff is still used as well. Then Ford won't cover them, then you'll need new phantom grip parts and Ford parts, is phantom grip going to pay for the Ford parts NO! will they pay for the labor NO! so basicly you're a moron for putting a phantom grip in a focus... on some other cars where the quaiffe costs around $1000 the phantom grip is more feasible...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sold me on the quaife!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
in responce to MalibuBlueZx3:

Bantha Fodder "I believe the Phantom Grip diff just locks the two sides together. It's not automatically torque-biasing like the Torsen or Quaife units. "

the phantom grip is a little piece that goes in your stock differential...
there were posts on the honda board about it breaking differentials when at the track and raced hard...it will also wear out over time

the quaife is a whole new differential, definately the way to go

specially since my differential broke on me launching my car on street tires

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
phantom grip lives up 2 its name...

...i'm still lookin 4 the grip

(i know a few who have them foci and non-foci)

-Ult

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
yea seriously i wanna know where its 550 too

·
Registered
8 Posts
The phantom grip is a simple, quite ingenious devce... it locks your stock diff's spider gears in place with a type of spring loading... the device is very small and effective. It does NOT have torque biasing like full LSDs, as it is NOT an LSD. It makes both front wheels drive the car, instead of the peg leg syndrome. It is inexpensive and a reasonable alternative to a more expensive Quaife, but only provides real advantages in launch and straight line acceleration... with less effectiveneess when cornering as it does not reduce power application to the slipping wheel.

Quaife on the other hand, is cheaper for the Focus than any other car I've seen. The reason I believe is that the Euro Spec Focus comes with a Quaife LSD as a stock part. It is a torque biasing LSD that transfers more power to the wheel with more traction... it really helps in the corners.

Also, the Quaife does have a lifetime warranty, which is honored even when used at a track.... I have not seen a warranty that covers that type of use... ever.

X2

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
I woulda locked this myself if I saw just the 1st post - Trying to sell products using anything other than the Classifieds is not allowed. Since in it's current form there's a good discussion going on, I have edited the "for sale" content out.

wontufokus... for really cheap, I'd think you could advertise your deal in the classifieds forum... then link to it from here and that would not be a problem...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts