Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got nabbed by Beaverton Police. I was on the road where the limit changes back and forth between 35 and 45 and I must have been in the 35 zone when they got me.

It's basically the "your speed is xxx mph" radar van, but it's manned by trap operators hiding behind tinted glass. If I end up getting a ticket, do I pay it and just be on my way, or does thing thing go on the driving record like getting an ordinary ticket with police contact?

:rant:

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
I do believe they go on your record just like a normal ticket. The best thing to do would be to fight it. Everyone I heard that fights the those tickets gets them dropped.

Of course you will have to hire a lawyer to do it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A lawyer named Jag Motto has good forum reputations in WA and apparently he's good at dealing with speeding tickets.

Anyone know of a good one in PDX area?

·
Currently listening to:, The Thong Song
3,793 Posts
hehe...you must of been on Farmington by the police station, Hall by the Library, or Cedar hills by the mall.
I am guessing Farmington as the speed drops down to 25 through downtown and back up to 35 and then 45 closer to highway 217.

There is not too much you can do about those. the camera got you going over the speed limit, as long as it shows YOU as the driver...you cant do too much. How clean does your record look? you can usually go through programs on your first offense on these.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hehe...you must of been on Farmington by the police station, Hall by the Library, or Cedar hills by the mall.
I am guessing Farmington as the speed drops down to 25 through downtown and back up to 35 and then 45 closer to highway 217.

There is not too much you can do about those. the camera got you going over the speed limit, as long as it shows YOU as the driver...you cant do too much. How clean does your record look? you can usually go through programs on your first offense on these.
They got me on Canyon coming down from 26 quite a bit west of 217, right before you see the little business "Sylvan Electronics", which is interesting, because the address is technically PORTLAND.

I've never had a moving violation and I don't want it to be something as lame as Beaverton Police radar patrol van :(

·
3,793 Posts
Go to court...I got money says they will let you off since this is your first ticket. I got let off of mine ;)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Go to court...I got money says they will let you off since this is your first ticket. I got let off of mine ;)
Ideally, I'd like them to dismiss it completely that the citation was null and void, instead of getting it reduced.

Focusfr4ak, share me your story..

From their site:
Did you go for the option where your plea can not be used against you in any subsequent matter?

I got a ticket, now what do I do?
How do you wish to plead on the citation?

Guilty: Guilty means that you admit to having done what you are charged with. It is likely that you will be sentenced immediately. The judge may take into consideration your prior driving record and any explanation you wish to give. Any determination of fines and assessments will be made by the judge at that time.
Traffic

No Contest: By pleading no contest you do not admit guilt and therefore no one can use that plea against you in any subsequent trial or hearing whether it is criminal or civil in nature. In a no contest plea you admit that the allegations contained in the complaint or citation are true, but only for the purpose of this hearing. If the judge accepts your plea of no contest and there are sufficient allegations contained in the citation, you will be found guilty. The judge may take into consideration your prior driving record, the officer’s written report, and any explanation you wish to give. Any determination of fines and assessments will be made by the judge at that time.

Not Guilty: Not guilty means you deny having done one or more of the elements contained in the offense or that you have a justifiable excuse for doing what you have done. If you plead not guilty the matter will be set for trial at some date in the future. You may enter a not guilty plea in writing by appearing at the Court prior to your court date and submitting a written notice to the court clerk.

·
3,793 Posts
You are guilty. you got caught.

I went in. Talked with the judge. He said why were you speeding,

You reply, "The speed limit goes between 35 and 45 and I must have missed a sign."

He will probably ask/know about your record and say that the city of Beaverton has a program you can go through.

The way mine worked...was I paid 75 bucks...took this class thing, After that I was told if I got another ticket in 6 months I would have to pay both of them. If I did not get one after 6 months then the ticket would be dropped. My Insurance does not know a thing about the event and my rates have not changed in the 5 years I have been driving now.

Just be honest. You know you messed up. Dont try to back track.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
It was a joke, get over yourself. It was funny enough you got busted by a Police Van.

Hard to miss that one, huh? One reason they use those big vans is so that they are visible and slow traffic down just by their presence.

Do these photo radars also do a small video clip? I know the traffic cams in Seattle do the photo and small video clip.

My wife contested running a traffic light in downtown Seattle a couple of years ago. Judge said -what part of the evidence doesn't show your guilty...lol They reduced it to half since it was her 1st ticket.

If it's your 1st ticket just defer it. They will probably do that anyways when you contest it and show-up for the court date.

Don't get another ticket in a year in the same city the ticket will never be added to your driving record or reported to you insurance company.

Get a ticket in that time span and you pay for the original and the new plus the points for both.

In this economy, the odds of getting it dropped are slim. The courts want your money and they are going to take something over nothing.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You are guilty. you got caught.
You know you messed up. Dont try to back track.
Yeah... that's where I messed up... getting caught :evilgrin:

Took that exit again. 26 is 55, right off the ramp, it's 40, then there's another sign for 40, then a mile down it goes to 35 and about a 1/4 mile down, the cop van was hiding in the shoulder with "your speed is" sign turned off.

·
3,793 Posts
the sign was not turned off ;) it just shows it at the last second..and I mean last second..haha

I see that thing all the time, hear it even sooner. YOU need to invest in a radar detector ;)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Could be in the UK where its £60 and 3 points and when your caught, your caught. Ours stay on our record for 3 years.

Would fighting the ticket not just make it worse? Here we have an option, accept and pay, or not pay and go to court. Odds are that at court, if found guilty, we stand the chance of gettiong 2x the points - 6 pts, and paying bigger fine + court costs.

You probably get it easy.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts