Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I got some of that static tint from advance auto parts, and its crapola, it wouldnt stick and it doesn cut to easy either.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Not my car, but here you go:

thank you thank yout that would be my car right there i did it in my hotel room at jetfest, Ataru gave me the idea and it cost about $15 to do and i will be doing a write up on how i did mine a lil bit later when i get some time in my busy life

kyle

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow what trick did you use to get around the back up light there.... I am still having a bubble problem at that bend.

Need to do that 3rd brake light now.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Here's a few....

Mine has been on for months..no problems. Be patient when cutting, have extra blades handy and use lots of soapy water and a credit card to squeegee out the excess. Sit car in the sun, bake for 1 hour and voila! Bubblefree tint flambe'.

·
Faster than a Cobra
16,008 Posts
Wow what trick did you use to get around the back up light there.... I am still having a bubble problem at that bend.

Need to do that 3rd brake light now.
Ancient chinese secret.

Actually, I'll leave it up to turbo2000 to tell you what he did for the back up light area. It was a pretty simple idea that makes things MUCH easier.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Alright so on the way up to JetFest i had 5% tint on my tail lights and no one could see my tail lights so i took it off. Ataru gave me the idea how to make it better. I used 20% window tint from Wal-Mart, some black paint and black pin striping. I painted the outside edge of the tail lights black to about a 1/4in, i had to go over it a few times to get it complealty blacked it out. The c-dan tail lights has a crease at the back up lights that makes the window tint hard to keep it from bubbling up. I cut one large piece for each tail light to cover the top half. and then a smaller piece to cover the backup light. I layed one over the other and made a lap cut at the crease. I then cut around the edges so it could blend in with the black paint around the edges. I then smoothed the tint out and got rid of all the bubbles. I then placed a piece of pin stripping alond the crease to hold the two pieces of tint together. I found out the next morning that the edges where starting to bubble up. So i then placed pin striping to hold the edges down and give it a smooth look.

kyle

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Alright so on the way up to JetFest i had 5% tint on my tail lights and no one could see my tail lights so i took it off. Ataru gave me the idea how to make it better. I used 20% window tint from Wal-Mart, some black paint and black pin striping. I painted the outside edge of the tail lights black to about a 1/4in, i had to go over it a few times to get it complealty blacked it out. The c-dan tail lights has a crease at the back up lights that makes the window tint hard to keep it from bubbling up. I cut one large piece for each tail light to cover the top half. and then a smaller piece to cover the backup light. I layed one over the other and made a lap cut at the crease. I then cut around the edges so it could blend in with the black paint around the edges. I then smoothed the tint out and got rid of all the bubbles. I then placed a piece of pin stripping alond the crease to hold the two pieces of tint together. I found out the next morning that the edges where starting to bubble up. So i then placed pin striping to hold the edges down and give it a smooth look.

kyle
Very sneeky sir. Great thinking.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
You can put it anywhere that it will cling. For holloween I use it as eyebrows and a moustache and go out as Groucho Marx. "Have cling, will travel"
Just make sure you get all the excess water out and let it dry.

Use it on your girlfriends high-beams...

·
Registered
386 Posts
I did this yesterday and it flew off my car this morning on the long 7 mile commute to work!

The "STICKY" up top doesn't say to bake it in the sun or use a hairdryer in the first post, so I didn't.

Maybe that's the trick? Anyone?

ps - totally looks cool though

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

kyle

if you read this you will understand how to keep it on for good i have run it though the power wash it has seen highway speeds and everything inbetween. i know its writen for the c-dan but if you are smart enough you can convert to the hatch back.

kyle

·
Almost choked on a Girl Scout ...cookie
16,227 Posts
I did this yesterday and it flew off my car this morning on the long 7 mile commute to work!

The "STICKY" up top doesn't say to bake it in the sun or use a hairdryer in the first post, so I didn't.

Maybe that's the trick? Anyone?

ps - totally looks cool though
Yes, time and temperature is the key.
The tint is held on by static cling, you use water to break the cling enough to make it easy to apply the tint evenly.
The water really needs to evaporate completely for a completely secure bond.
When you apply the tint, make sure you squeegee out as much water as possible. That will help with the evaporation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts