Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the background info

Got off my ass and decided to pull my shift tower of so i can weld the arm back on just as a temp fix till i get the money for a tranny i found here at a junkyard.

Here is the end of the shaft that was sheard and thr back side off the arm, you can see it looked to have broken and rubbed for a while before it finnaly fell off.

Here is how it should be but without the break. How is that arm attached? Is it welded? Pressed? what?

But im gonna get my friend to weld the arm back on to the shaft just so it will be good enough to get me to work and what not.

Oh ya talked to the cooler ford dealer round here, service manager said if it were up to him he would fix it even tho its under extended warrant and all my mods, but he said the inspectors or something would deny the claim and i would have to prolly get a lawyer or something. so i said [censored] it

Any input?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Re: Pics of my broken shift tower, Got a Few ???

Well man you know im here, if you need any help...if you could too, put the word out about my car man.... If you need a ride or whatever to get parts let me know man.

Robert

·
Registered
2,945 Posts

Why You replacing the whole trans? The shift twer piece should be avaialble seperately.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

According to the ford parts counter and the dude from marcy motorsports i would have to buy the entire "shift tower", whats in the picture for 400 dollars. Which seems to be correct cuz everything in that whole assembley is pressed or welded together.

So i'll spend an extra 200 bux get this junkyard tranny with a 6 month warranty, take the shift tower off it, put it on my car, then save up the money to drop a quafie and gears. Since my tranny now the 3rd gear synchro is gonna, possibly due to this shift arm.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Anyone know how that arm is attached to the shaft from the factory? is it supposed to be pressed on or weleded or what?

·
Registered
2,945 Posts

Well 400 is quite a bit!
That arm is welded.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

well i dont know how they welded it, because my freind tried welding it and the welds werent even sticking to the shaft. I dont think the shaft is alunimum dont have any real magnets to test it either.

I guess i will try to take it to a real welding show and see what they can do

1 - 7 of 7 Posts