Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the viper intake from Pipercross?
What mods were necessary to route the large diameter intake pipe to the front of the car?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Over rated and WAY over priced......

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have the pipercross viper intake on my car and in my own opinion it is the best intake on the market.

1.It is both a short ram, and a CAI I,ll take pic's for you to show you how that is.
2.You can truley understand how this intake works until you have seen it in person, or even driven a car W/it.
3.At the local drag strip i was trapping at a little over 95mph with just this intake over my 92mph traps with just the short ram.
4.Your intake air temps are at least 20 degrees cooler than even the so called best cold air intake the AEM

Just my own opinion, but i know that at high speeds you really feel how much more responsive the car is with this intake.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Focus Sport did DYNO testing on a NA ZX3 they did stock, a K&N panel filter, and the pipercross. The difference between the $35 K&N and the $300 piper cross was 2whp.

As for 20* difference in intake temps between the pipercross and the AEM CAI your just full of crap, considering the pipercross draws air from inside the car as well as from the outside.

People are RETARDED for paying all that extra money for a $5 plastic tube that fits onto the end of a K&N knock off filter

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I have the pipercross viper intake on my car and in my own opinion it is the best intake on the market.

1.It is both a short ram, and a CAI I,ll take pic's for you to show you how that is.
2.You can truley understand how this intake works until you have seen it in person, or even driven a car W/it.
3.At the local drag strip i was trapping at a little over 95mph with just this intake over my 92mph traps with just the short ram.
4.Your intake air temps are at least 20 degrees cooler than even the so called best cold air intake the AEM

Just my own opinion, but i know that at high speeds you really feel how much more responsive the car is with this intake.
yeah I totally agree w/this guy.... Ihave it on my sedan, and I love it in comparison to the other intakes I tried out.....Iceman, bomz, knn cone, ect......this thing really works, if you were to feel viper cone compared to the intake pipe, the temperatures are different. same w/going down the road, the heat soak hot feeling isn't there anymore. I love it

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I also have one and can say it the AIT are much better then any short ram out there. I have also had an AEM CAI there may not be much of a difference performance between the two but I don’t have the fear of hydro locking the motor and I also don’t have the ice build up on the filter like I did in the winter with the AEM.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
This is from an old post on the ViperCross intakes..........

Guys, buy the cheapest one the 1-2hp difference between the cheap ones and the expensive ones doesn't make ANY difference. This came from another thread.......

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dynoed a 2000 ZX3 with a stock aibox and K&N drop in. 111 whp and 116 wtq hood open and 110 whp and 114 wtq hood closed at 71 degrees.

The K&N filters are normally worth around 2 whp and 2 wtq over a stock filter.

Added pipercross Vector short ram intake cost 185

114.5 whp and 119.5 wtq hood open and 112.5 whp and 116.5 wtq hood closed at 74 degrees.

Added New PX Venom intake kit cost 275

113.5 whp and 118.5 wtq with hood open and closed 4 straight pulls at 78 degrees.

We also datalogged the car on the road with stock airbox w/ K&N vs the Venom the air inlet temps were 12 degrees cooler. It was about 45 degrees outside.

I tried to make all pulls in the same time intervals to make this test as consistent as possible.

We have been testing with our shop car on air intakes for a while. We dynoed our car making 30 more whp and only picked up 1 MPH in the 1/4 we then added a Mustang March ram air to our open filter with heatshield and added 3 MPH. The PX Viper is on our car now and it gives us the air we need at the track to run without the car laying down on the topend. Better air makes better driving power.

--------------------
McNews Automotive
717-432-9503
www.mcnewsautomotive.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this is a regular ZX3, but the point is the $400 pipercross which is "Suppose" to be the cats ass only made 2whp & 2wtq than a stock airbox with a K&N.

Seriously $40 vs $400 I can think of several good mods for the extra $360

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I agree it’s expensive, and you’re not going to see much difference in your HP when you compare any of them on a dyno. You need to look at real world conditions. What’s interesting is when you get the hood down and you start logging AIT, I had to opportunity to log GaryK race car on track at race speeds. The temps under the hood would never fall below 106 (it was in the 80’s at the time), where mine on the streets driving regular are under 100 when moving at even higher ambient temps, I would have figured that at speeds over 100mph he would have been getting a lot more air to the short ram. As you know these cars start to pull timing as the AIT go up. So my advice is to look at the pros and cons of each I wouldn’t look at dyno hp when making your comparison. Granted not ever one is out running there car one a track or a drag strip and it doesn’t really matter to them, but that’s some thing that I look at, I’m also pushing 10psi or boost though a JRSC so the cooler the air the better for me.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
The Stock SVT setup also pulls cooler air from outside the car from the fender well and the snorkle that sits infront of the radiator, the AEM CAI pulls cooler air from just behind the drivers side fog lamp.

I think its just a shame to pay out alot of cash for a part that's no more than a minimal upgrade at best.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Ever seen one of these reticulated foam filters after it's started to disintegrate ? Makes a nice mess in your inlet manifold !

·
TEAM Member
2,059 Posts
Focus Sport did DYNO testing on a NA ZX3 they did stock, a K&N panel filter, and the pipercross. The difference between the $35 K&N and the $300 piper cross was 2whp.

As for 20* difference in intake temps between the pipercross and the AEM CAI your just full of crap, considering the pipercross draws air from inside the car as well as from the outside.

People are RETARDED for paying all that extra money for a $5 plastic tube that fits onto the end of a K&N knock off filter

·
TEAM Member
2,059 Posts

I have seen people pay more for less. The dyno isn't the prove all but the track is. So take it to the track and prove it. We have 14.03 at 95 on a dynoed 163 whp with a car that weighed 2616. Need I say more. Suck up some heat and slow the car down.

You should get your facts straight before spouting off. The Pipercross pulls its air from the grill area only if mounted properly. I have tested the FS stuff as well. I will stick with the Pipercross. I can afford to buy whatever intake I want for my car and I have this one for mine because it works. It was bought before we started dealing with them. KIDS

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I too can afford whatever intake I take a liking too.

Actually the testing that I posted was yours...

It really doesn't matter about the track, most of these guys will never race theirs on a road track anyways. For a daily driver any of the cheaper intakes will do just as good, and will look just as good as well.

So you going to VIR in October?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have a pipercross viper and I like it.
But to be honest if the aluminum one was out when I bought it I probably would of went for that one.

·
TEAM Member
2,059 Posts
I might if I have the time. We are getting ready to put our new boosted drivetrain in.

Track or street it all works the same. You can buy whatever you want but bashing parts without facts is senseless. I have tested others as well this test was a good back to back comparision. If I would have thrown other intakes in they wouldn't have done any better. The hood down test is where the difference is in all of the intakes on the market. Unless you drive with your hood up. I have datlalogged them all and there is no intake that keeps the air temps in check like this setup. None.

·
Registered
24,330 Posts

That wasn't us, but I think that was already noted.

IMO, testing on the dyno with the hood closed for IATs isn't that great of an idea anyway, not enough air flow from just about any dyno fan. Unless you have one of those 25 HP dyno fans that adjusts with vehicle speed, you CANNOT get completely accurate results with that kind of test.

Driving around and logging IATs makes good sense, but that is hard to accurately gauge power.

Wouldn't it be nice to dyno test your car while you were driving?

If you have the money, I don't see anything wrong with the pipercross set up that was mentioned. We have something similar from ITG. Both are really expensive IMO, but that is just what some people want. I think for FI it makes more sense, personally. You can beat the hell out of a N/A car and heat it up and it will cool down pretty fast. FI can be a really different story.

We were just at California speedway and our N/A 155 HP ZX3 won the Focus Challenge event. Outside temps were anywhere from 90 - 100 degrees with 50% humidity. Said car has the FS Cool-Flo without any kind of ducting, btw. Of course, Raffi is a pretty damn good driver.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts