Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Illage Vidiot
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We can burn our corn, they cannot eat thier oil

at a local gas station the price of E85 was at 2.20 a gallon and, gas was 2.69 a gallon. Which got me thinking. Remeber about six months ago when the media was talking about ethenol power. The problem is most cars cannot use this. Pretty much if we where to switch to this it would be a win win situation for all of us. One the gas would be cheaper if we drove more cars that used this type of fuel, more famers would be employeed because of increased demand for corn. The goverment would stop paying famers to just sit on land and not farm it.

Less reliance on foreign oil, more employeed farmers, less taxes used on waisted farm land, lower fuel prices.

This would pretty much screw over Opec contries when the largest importer of foreign oil about significantly drops its imports for oil.

While we are at it I would increase the price of all exported food, since only a handful of countries export food anyways. Do this for only a couple of years just to stick it to them.

Another idea with the rising price of oil, when is it going to be economical to invest in the oil shale. In a geography class i took it said that if we could harvest the oil that there would be enough to power this country for 100 years, i dont know it this is correct or not. That is along time even if you give or take 10-20 years.

Also if we invested in E85 that time period could multiplied by 2 if a majority of vehicals where manufactured to burn E85.

just an idea

·
Premium Member
12,225 Posts
Re: Gas Prices Rant *We can burn our corn, they cannot eat thier

Here's my question: how much volume could our country support? The US consumes more than 200 million gallons of fuel a DAY. It takes almost as much energy to create the ethanol as it puts out. There's no way widespread corn-based ethanol use will happen here.

http://www.aibs.org/bioscience-press-rel..._petroleum.html

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

Ranting about fuel again?

You do realize that gas prices have been higher, right? Back in the Arab Oil Crisis, (factoring in inflation), gas was MUCH higher in price compared to today.

And yeah, we don't have enough corn to fuel our cars. Hydrogen is the way it'll be and hopefully it will be made available to the public for widespread use within the next decade so we don't have to worry about fueling costs all the time.

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts

Yes, more vehicles should use some sort of bio fuel (either soy-based diesel or corn-based E85).

Is there enough capacity for everyone to switch? No.

Right now, shale (and things like the Canadian oil sands) still cost too much to economically take the place of crude... even at $67 a barrel. If the barrel price keeps increasing then eventually it will become financial feasible. That won't make fuel cheaper... it will just insure we HAVE it.

For the near to mid-term future we are going to have to rely on a mix of different fuel sources and technologies... until something better comes along.

Will it come? IMHO, Yes. Will it be Hydrogen? Maybe... maybe not.

·
Illage Vidiot
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

we do have a huge amount of corn being produced

our exports

i am not saying it will rid the use of foriegn oil just help with it

·
Registered
1,606 Posts

Wait.......i thought we went to Iraq for the oil????? oh yeah thats right, we didnt.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

Wait.......i thought we went to Iraq for the oil????? oh yeah thats right, we didnt.
I may be a jerk, but oil is the only thing I'm interested in concerning Iraq....

·
Illage Vidiot
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

^^^^^^
please delete previous post, this is not labled [PJ]

·
Small Car Czar
15,328 Posts

OK, I'll throw this out there, let's just say that Iraq is ALL about oil...

If YOU were the President and you knew that your country's dependence on oil was so vast that you needed to establish a beachhead in the Middle East to keep the country from collapsing into chaos at some point in the (near) future... what would YOU do?

Just curious, because IF that is why we are there (and if the government knows more then they are willing to tell us) then ANY President, Democratic or Republican would do the exact same thing to protect the citizens of the country.

I'm not going to take a side, saying it's right or wrong, but IF that is the scenario then it's almost impossible to understand the conflict and stress that would be put on ANY President, regardless of party lines. So, in other words, it ain't just a "Bush" thing.

I'll be curious to see what happens when Bush leaves office. We'll see just what REALLY matters to the citizens of our country.

Get ready to ride a bike everywhere, grow your own food, make your own clothes, etc. Is that progress!?

·
Illage Vidiot
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Should this be switched to off topic i will at a [PJ] now

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts

How about we start a thread aon how we can get better gas mileage, in stead of wasting brain cells being mad at the prices

·
Illage Vidiot
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

i think that was my original intent

·
Illage Vidiot
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Oh i dont blame you, i just added the PJ

·
King of the Fairies
4,883 Posts

well i just paid $2.99 for 91

i just got an apartment that is a 5 minute walk to disney, and i am lookin into a scooter or spree to get from place to place

·
Banned
1,327 Posts

What gets me is that there is a large registered producer of BioDiesel 50 miles from me and yet I would have to drive 150 miles farther to buy any. What bums me out is that biodiesel or soy diesel makes more power thn regular diesel, and I can't get it.

#2 Diesel here has gone from $2.51 to $3.14 in 2 weeks. Watch the price of everything go up as a result for "Transportation Costs".

·
Registered
766 Posts

Currently using a 4 ft Gordon and Smith long board with EXTRA large wheels to work!

It;s just so damn hot!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts

Ranting about fuel again?

You do realize that gas prices have been higher, right? Back in the Arab Oil Crisis, (factoring in inflation), gas was MUCH higher in price compared to today.

And yeah, we don't have enough corn to fuel our cars. Hydrogen is the way it'll be and hopefully it will be made available to the public for widespread use within the next decade so we don't have to worry about fueling costs all the time.
Actualy, I don't *remember gas prices ever being this high near us, and I heard on the radio that we are hitting record highs every day in Wisconsin.
I only fill up about every 3 weeks or so, and I swear the last time I filled up I only paid about 2.25 a gallon. Imagine my 'surprise' filling up yesterday where the cheapest I could find was 2.49!

·
Registered
18 Posts

^^^^^^
please delete previous post, this is not labled [PJ]
heh.... its tough to have a discussion about oil/gasoline without getting political.

Its shocking to me so many people are shocked about high gas prices. Limited supply with skyrocketing workdwide demand....supplied by States that mostly hate our guts

coupled with folks blindly purchasing hummers, escavators and navigades....coupled with car companies showing no inkling of attemping to make their vehicles more efficeint, not to mention subverting CAFE standards with even station wagons being classified as light trucks...coupled with absolutely no CAFE increases from the gov for well over a decade. (both party's fault)

Oh well, my little pzev ZX5 only needs fuel every 340-400 miles

Oh, FJ-1 is correct. we are absolutely in Iraq for oil and nothing more. demoracry, lieberation, WMD, fight'em there instead of here, insert lame justifcation by admin here, etc. its all smokescreen, I can hardly believe people (sheeple?) actually swallow that stuff.

We are there to establish a permanent military stronghold in the heart of the Oil producing Middle East. Not to except flowers from an Iraqi population grateful for their liberation

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

Now if the whole invade a Middle Eastern country to establish a beachhead to insure oil supply doesn't make sense with Iraq.
They are too far up the Persian Gulf gauntlet. Saudi Arabia would have made much more sense for that theroy.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts