Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my wheels powder coated and am looking for the best way to support the focus on four stands for about four days. I have two jacks and two jack stands now (I know I'll need another pair).

I was thinking put the manual transmission in reverse, jack up the back from both sides and support it with stands on the little metal lip (craftsman jack stands running parallel to the length of the car), then lower the focus to be supported totally by the jack stands and repeating with the front. I'm worried that the extra weight shift could shift the stands and jacks forward dropping the focus onto the garage floor.

I'm guessing at least one other person on this board has done this successfully. Am I on the right track or am I headed for disaster using this method??

·
Banned
926 Posts
You should worry so much, just put the car on those jack stands. I have so many close calls lifting freaking 8 tons SUVS monsters of doom that I learned that it takes alot to get a car to fall. Even when i accidently hit smack a car on a lift while I was trying to get to get this other car in a lift, it didnt budge a inch.

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
I've had my car up on 4 stands before. I did the sides though. As long as you're not on any type of incline, the car won't go anywhere.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the second set of jack stands and jacked it up nice and slowly in the front, then the back. It's now up on stands, and the wheels are in the shop to be sand blasted and powder coated. I'll get them back on Saturday.

Thanks for raising my confidence on this. I'll post pictures in the Team Rigs section and add a link here for anyone who wants to see the final result.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I bought the second set of jack stands and jacked it up nice and slowly in the front, then the back. It's now up on stands, and the wheels are in the shop to be sand blasted and powder coated. I'll get them back on Saturday.

Thanks for raising my confidence on this. I'll post pictures in the Team Rigs section and add a link here for anyone who wants to see the final result.
Where are you getting this done and how much is it costing you?? L8er Jon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts