Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
No XCal2s will ship this week me don't thinks. Randy is still not back from Vaca... and I'm sure that there is a nice backorder of things to be programmed.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Rod - what, are you tired of your 2 frame/second datalog rate?

The XCal2 looks pretty neat - so now you'll be able to re-flash through the OBD2 port. Dammit - that was the only thing about my setup that was cooler than yours.

Oh, wait - I just remembered that I have air conditioning and you don't.

Be sure to let us know how you like the flasher. You may very well be the ONLY end-user to have both a chip AND a flasher.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Worse thing about the 2 frame / second deal was it would only hold 13 seconds in memory, it would only keep each channel remotely updated if logging more than 2 or 3 parameters at the same time, and it wouldn't show knock sensor activity.

Since I am getting the Xcal2 as a data logger, I don't know if will also function as a burning unit too? That would be nice.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Randy!

Say I got a fly in the ointment... as soon as I opened the box there is a yellow flyer that says some special adapter cable is required in order to log with the unit if a chip is being used.

.... I am using a chip, and don't have the cable... do you have one? Can I get it sent out like same day (if there is such a thing?) or whatever, first thing tomorrow morning (Friday)?

Welecome back!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Ahh yes. I had the same problem... except I did not get the handy little flier. Needless to say thats what fried my xcal2...

Randy, mine is designed for use with a chip obviously, it should work with Rods car also right?

Ill have it with me saturday when I come up in case you cant get yours in time Rod.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm. Well I guess I can try and get SCT tech to help me figure out how to get my tuning software copied onto this new laptop. Honestly I am a little leery of switching from anything that is currently working properly with SCT as there seems to be an awful lot of glitches to look out for...

My sig has nothing to do with you Randy, and I have been enjoying your "how-to" sticky... very nice. That is in response to the frequent comments in the forums about "having to get a maf calibrated for X size injectors" or "that maf won't work since it is calibrated for x size injectors". I used to try to explain this but it is a endless tasks...

Nathan that may be a good call if I can't figure how to get my tuning software onto the laptop.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Rod -

I think once you try re-flashing, you'll never go back to the chip. With the newer chips and USB chip burner, it's probably a tough decision, but you've got the old parallel-port chip burner with the 1-program chip, right? If so, I bet you'll love using the flasher. I can't speak for the Xterminator model, but the 9100 series microtuner that I have has been flawless when writing tunes to the PCM, and once I figured out what was causing some glitches, programming the microtuner has been very smooth sailing.

To get your tuning file onto the new computer, you've got all sorts of options - a direct ethernet crossover cable, a USB memory stick, floppy disk, CD-RW disc, etc., depending on your hardware. There's also the tried-and-true "e-mail it to yourself" method.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How long does the flash take? My burner takes 5 minutes.

Which do I have, Xterminator or 9100 Microtuner, or something else??

Ryan is in the process of putting together and emailing me a new software down load since my 1.0 install in the big computer may be problematic.... there were some issues updating it with 2.9.1.2 the other day... so the laptop will be done from scratch. I just hope to get it in time to download (about 2 hours for 30MB) and then still get a key in time to use this weekend.

Edit... I guess if he zips it it will be faster to download.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So how do you turn the data logger on?

I loaded the drivers, got the usb port to the thing talking with it, plugged it in to the car, and the menu has dtc, program, lcd contrast, etc, but no selection for logging.

The directions don't even address how to log.

How do I get it to log?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also, can I move my keyed and working tuning software from my desk top to my laptop without getting a new key if I have to?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Which do I have, Xterminator or 9100 Microtuner, or something else??
That "Xterminator" comment was a joke.

The real name is "eXcalibur" or something like that.

Don't mind me - I'm just making fun of the name to hide my jealousy.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I don't know about the logging, but I don't think there's any way to "transfer" the software from one computer to another without getting a new key.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bah, well I sure hope Ryan comes through then. He said it would take about an hour over 3 hours ago. I have been sitting here in front of the computer waiting so I can load and request a key as soon as I get it.

The last week has been one of the most frustrating I can remember... every hour that goes wasted trying to get this going is equal to about $40 down the tube.... and the process has eaten a huge amount of hours already.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts