Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is as small as I could make it, so that you could still see the numbers. This is why you don't jack off in the TDC part of a cam install. Yeah, thats right - a 37whp gain from tuning. Damn I suck. Could have put down more numbers, but my gears won't physically go any farther <shaking head in shame> Time to rip it apart again and do it all over again.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
owned by the shortcuts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<SNL Ed McMan (sp) voice>

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR YES!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Didn't the car feel a lot slower after you installed them? Were you able to tell before the dyno that you were down on power? How did you get so far off TDC during the install?Just curious...I have mine installed and I'm going to get back in there and rip the dowels out (you've helped me out in a couple other threads) to get the gears to read 0,0 but the car definately feels faster above 4 grand and definately lost torque below 3 grand.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it was definately ALOT slower, we were just to lazy to re-due it. We didn't think it was as bad as it was. We thought we were a little off and tuning would fix it, but we were definately wrong. Oh well..

·
Registered
359 Posts
Damn man...sorry you gotta go through it again, but really...resetting it to TDC won't take that long. It's not like you have to rip the cams out or anything. Question: How certain are you that the dowels are placed in the cam and can be ripped out without grinding? My thought is if I can get to them by removing the cam gears, then i can yank them out with plyers. Does this sound like it would work? I'd like to know before I rip it all apart. I feel like an idiot that I didn't check before I put them in...they were only sitting in my garage for a week and a half

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Before the cams were put in, we just yanked them with a pair of pilars (those damn lobes can be sharp if you're not paying attention!). They don't usually come out on the first attempt, but they will eventually give in to your supernatural stength and come out. If you do it while the cams are in the head, just be careful man, those damn Crowers are fragile.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
get some vice grips and place them in line with the dowels. enough pressure to hold the dowel and be able to twist it out without marring it. mine came out without a hitch. save them for when you get indexed gears and just tap them back in with a brass hammer

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
We? Who did you do this with. Not the infomous (sp) cam breaker?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Dude ya'll sure do have alot of problems with the cams and heads. You might want to invest in some insurance to cover another set of cams for when you go to put it in tdc.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We? Who did you do this with. Not the infomous (sp) cam breaker?
They were all sick and tired of your POS gears and shafts that day to worry about mine!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
get some vice grips and place them in line with the dowels. enough pressure to hold the dowel and be able to twist it out without marring it. mine came out without a hitch. save them for when you get indexed gears and just tap them back in with a brass hammer
Sorry Eggyolk...don't mean to jump in your thread and still your Kool Aide, but...

I do have the indexed gears with the dowel hole...the thing is...I don't know how to get both of the cam gears to read 0,0 while being at TDC if the cam and cam gear are locked in with the dowel. I'm sure there has got to be a logical way around this...can any help me out here?

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sorry Eggyolk...don't mean to jump in your thread and still your Kool Aide, but...

I do have the indexed gears with the dowel hole...the thing is...I don't know how to get both of the cam gears to read 0,0 while being at TDC if the cam and cam gear are locked in with the dowel. I'm sure there has got to be a logical way around this...can any help me out here?
and i hate to steal the show also, but what is the difference between the stage 1,2 and 3 gears? what do i need to buy?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts