Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody! I've got a Focus build 2000 with an 1,8L Zetec engine. So it has actually 115 hp, what is a pitty in my eyes.
Plz do not post something like buying a supercharger (like the one from jackson)-- By the way does it fit in the 1,8L ??
I would prefer staying N/A setting a goal to 170 - 200 hp.

-- Does anyone know if the ice man intake fits ??

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm assuming you're not from North America - otherwise I'm intrigued that you got a 1.8 Zetec.

Most (if not all) of the tactics you'd use to bump up power on a naturally aspirated 2.0 should apply - that would mean intake, exhaust, headers, cams. Underdrive pulleys will help too. As time & money allow, work on the cylinder heads to optimize their effectiveness.

Gearing is important, particularly on the 1.8, which is down on torque compared to a 2.0. The quicker you can get a 4.06 or shorter ring & pinion, the better.

Ultimately you'll be making less torque than on a 2.0, but will be able to rev higher - so take advantage of that. I imagine you'll be able to get some nice results when its said and done.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have 1.8l to.pipercross viper kit made great power and torque to me.exhaust litle torque.jackson is the best but....
Header shorty will make torque and some hp.
Dont know for throtle body yet if it fits for as.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your posts.
I was a bit confused by the fact that my Intake differs from the one of the 2,0 L engine. ( I watched that movie on how to install the ice man intake). Moreover one I-site said that the UDP offered there would only fit the 2,0 L engine.

By the way, the fact of the gearing was mentioned. What exactly is a ring and pinion?

Please excuse that question but I am actually not from America.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i think the rink and pinion shorts down all the gears about 10km/h.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Put another way - your final drive ratio need to be shortened to make up for the lack of torque from your 1.8. That will make it accelerate harder (but will rev the engine higher for a given speed).

"Ring and pinion" are gearsets inside a differntial unit. They juggle the size of these gears to adjust how quickly the engine revs to move the car at a particular speed.

[ 11-08-2002, 09:08 PM: Message edited by: Zoomer69 ]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi guys, we have a lot of 1.8l cars in the UK (including mine). Things like the manifolds, throttle bodies, exhausts etc all fit the 1.8 with no problems at all. We actually import a lot of the FocusSport and Focus Central stuff for our cars here in the UK.

Check out ww.ffoc.co.uk then goto the forum for some help with a 'euro' Foci !!

Andy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry I can't spell - try www.ffoc.co.uk

And also the UDP kit is not suitable for the 1.8. We are looking into doing a kit for it here in the UK

1 - 9 of 9 Posts