Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I made a 3/4" TB spacer but my car will not start when I put it in? Do I need to reset the ECU after the install? It's a perfect fit too.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
ROB SOLE

·
Registered
190 Posts
Check MAFS and other connections that got undone when you took off your tb/intake....

Also i know that the stock bolt pattern is idiotproof but did your air bypass holes line up?

Here is a pick of what i am workin on....

Milan

[ 03-13-2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: vme ]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys,
After talking to some others on the Jet it seems you must reset the ECU before trying the install. I'll let you know how it goes. The cutouts are perfect thanks to a rotoZip.
Thanks!
Rob Sole
Once I put it on the car didn't want to start.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What kinda material do you use to make a TB spacer??

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey guys, I modeled myself a spacer as well in Rhino-3d. I then exported it to mastercam and milled one out of acrylic. It came out perfect, accept the actual diameter of the port was off by .04 The good news was that it fit perfect and everything lined up accept my idle air pass wascvered just slightly otherwise it came out very clean. I had it on my car for about 2 days when today my CEL came on. So i uninstalled it and reset my computer. I hope it doesnt come baccck on. I started with a .5 inch spacer for about a week with no problems, then i made another .5 and combined the 2. That worked fine for a week now i make one out of solid 1" inch thick acrylic and it wants to throw the CEL?!! The car idles poorly with it I noticed. But the butt dyno notices a little difference specially in the midrange. Dont know of any losses but high end seems hmmmm. different dont want to say worse or better. I have no hard numbers. I'd like to use it at the track and see if it makes any difference in my times. Anyone know why it would throw the CEL?? And can someone dyno this thing!!!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have had a 1" spacer on for about a month now and no cel. I wonder why your getting one? SAme affect good mid range but no change in the top end.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I actually have some of Matt's spacers and have had very good luck with htem. I noticed the same changes in the driving experience that he mentioned. No CEL, either.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got this to work tonight. I'm not sure it is worth doing. The midrange is better but the idle hangs a bit. I made a 1" spacer out of PVC. I have only had it on for a few hours. I hope I don't throw a CEL.I'll do some more driving to see if I like it.
Later
Rob Sole

·
Registered
190 Posts
Tom,

When you dynoed a spacer, was it on a N/A car or Turbo? Did it Shift the powerband at all or absolutly no change from baseline?

P.S. Great article in SCC a while ago!

Thank's Milan

G

·
0 Posts
tom,

your input in these forums are priceless and we are truely lucky to have a knowledge source as you. you are one of the people that makes these forums worth visiting. thanks, man.

_michael

[ 03-15-2003, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: trakkstar314 ]

·
Registered
609 Posts
Originally posted by Sole:
Hello,
I made a 3/4" TB spacer but my car will not start when I put it in? Do I need to reset the ECU after the install? It's a perfect fit too.
Any ideas?
Thanks!
ROB SOLE
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I know this is simple, but do you have a good seal. if you have a vacuum leak, the car will fire up and then abruptly die. if that is what is happening you need a new gasket

1 - 16 of 16 Posts