Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still having idling issues. here is a quick rndown of the history. I changed to FC stage 2 head. Reused to sotck tty bolts realized what I had done because it was leaking a little and the went with ARP's. Now my ar idles liek crap. Now my car has a whole host of wierd problems. First the Idle is really erratic. When i first start it up It wil idle at about 1300 then settel down to about 1000 after 10 seconds or so. After about 30 seconds it will drop off badly and studder almost diesing but it wont. I thought it was a vaccum leak but I have been unable to find one. I thought that it might be the DPFE sensor so I changed it and it didnt help. Then I got a CEL and took it to get the code read and they told me that it was a bad o2 sensor and MAF. I ordered a new o2 sensor but its not here yet. If it was a bad MAF it would run bad all of the time not jsut at idle right? I reset the computer on my own and the CEL has not coem back on for over 400 miles. If it was something electrical it would have come on right away correct? Also when I try to take off quickly and the car is at low rpms it will just sputter and not get any power. One last thing that has me really baffeled is when I am going along between 70-90 and I am in 5th gear is will not hold the power so I constanly have to downshift to 4th to keep speed. Everye I ask says vaccum leak but I cant find one. I have tried spraying carb cleaner and found nothing. One thing thaty I just remembered is when I was putting in the injectors in one of the gaskets was slightly damaged but its not leaking fuel. Could this be the problem. I am at my wits end with this POS. I love my car but this is getting annoying.

·
Registered
997 Posts
FocusOnMyZetec says your cam timing is off.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that the only problem. I am sure that I set the cam timing correctly when I resinstalled them. would it being off a couple of degrees cause a such a bad idle?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had similar symptoms when the wrong MAFS was on my car. It would sputter and stall at idle, but at WOT would run strong. Several people suggested a vacuum leak as well. Once I got the right MAFS on there, it was fixed.

Could also be the cam timing issue though. Good luck.

·
Registered
412 Posts
did you check the idle air control sensor, that could cause irrattic idle.just thought i would suggest that if you hadnt already thought of that.

mike

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking at my car tonight and heard a hissing sound coming form my #4 injector. I remeber that the o ring was not in the best shape when I installed it. Could this be the problem? It would explain the decrease in gas mileage. I could also smell gas. I also changed the TPS sensor tonight an dit doesnt drop really low until I give it gas and then it will drop off but if I dont give it any gas it bounces a little but doesnt studder. Thanks

·
Registered
836 Posts
What cams do you have? Some cams will cause your engine to lope. It will sound like it wants to cut off or it even may cut off and your car will vibrate more at idle. When you are at a stop and in neutral if you rev your car up to about 1200 RPMS does the engine sound fine? If it still sounds like it is missing then you know you either have a fuel problem, which could be that injector your talking about. Or it could be an ignition problem.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
got headwork and big cams...u must live w/lumpy idle...nature of the beast. now ur eratic throttle behavior could b due 2 the tps or the maf or both.

oh, and refrain from shootin carb cleaner around the engine bay w/it runnin. not a smart thing 2 do at all.

-Ult

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced the MAF tonight and I out the stocker back on. It seems to run smoother but the idle is still bad> I am thinking that it a combination of 3 things. The bad o ring on the injector, slightly off time, bad ground terminal on ground side of battery. what do you guys think

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the MAF tonight and I out the stocker back on. It seems to run smoother but the idle is still bad> I am thinking that it a combination of 3 things. The bad o ring on the injector, slightly off time, bad ground terminal on ground side of battery. what do you guys think

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got mine running alot better as well. I am nt sure what the problem was but I cleaned the MAF, blocked off the EGR, replaced the autolites with motocraft and made sure all of the battery cables were tight. it works great now. I still have a little loss in power but I think that my cam gear settings are not optimized. It idles so much smoother now! I have both cams advanced about 6 degrees. I am lacking a some midrange power. I am just goingto do what I can until I get back to the states and get her on a dyno. I was really depressed when my baby was running badly. I am going to transfer her to the wife for a few months until we get back to the states. Anyway thanks for all the help. Later

1 - 11 of 11 Posts