Ford Focus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I see the ads for pre-owned Boxters, where Porsche does a 100 point check and gives you a something-year/100,000 mile warranty... anyone know anybody who's ever bought a pre-owned Boxter?

I have been liking the Boxter S more and more over the years, and I was thinking it might be another option for me when I get a new car, assuming it has a good warranty.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
truthfully (imo) id rather get one of the new boxsters rather than the older ones. theyve changed them in so many ways and more and more hp increases...

my dad was looking at them this weekend. and the salesman was saying how he personally wouldnt buy anything other than 03 or above. I wasnt there so for whats its worth.

its not like any of them are bad cars

·
White Elephant Husband
3,222 Posts
Boxsters are chick cars... Sorry.

Everytime I see a guy in a Boxster I think he is either gay, trying to look like a hotshot but cant afford a real Porsche, or driving his girlfriends car...LOL

Why would you spend that kind of money on a car that literally has nothing to offer.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts

Everytime I see a guy in a Boxster I think he is either gay, trying to look like a hotshot but cant afford a real Porsche, or driving his girlfriends car...LOL

Why would you spend that kind of money on a car that literally has nothing to offer.
dude, if you read the magazines motor trend, car & driver, and its been called one of the best sports cars for the $ ever since it came out. its a decent performer...just not up there with some of the other gts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Comming from a Tiny Sausage I'm not sure I'm inclined to agree.

At any rate, I wouldn't turn one down if given to me. Then again, I'm not really shopping that market yet so maybe that would change if it was my money on the line. But chic car, please. If you apply that label to every small two place roadster (like the Miata), you would miss out on all those great sports cars from the past. IE Jag XKE, Porsche 550 spyder, MG's and so on.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts

Boxster S has nothing to offer?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I don't think I'd have any problem owning a used Porsche. They were just ranked #2 (as a manufacturer) for long-term quality by JD Power and Ass. (behind Lexus.)

As they say, 2 out of 3 Porsche's ever built are still on the road today. That's saying something.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
As they say, 2 out of 3 Porsche's ever built are still on the road today. That's saying something.
Porsche owner's have deep pockets?

·
Registered
10,752 Posts

Boxster S has nothing to offer?
Haha sorry Spinwax, no offense, but thats gotta be one of the most ignorant comments i've ever heard about the Boxster. The Boxster is basically MUCH faster than any 911 given the same power levels. Porsche knows this and won't make a powerful one.

Even then the new Cayman is already 4 seconds faster around the Ring than the new 911 S.

If you ever go to a track event or autocross and see how these cars are SUPPOSED to really be driven you would see and hear a great peice of machinery in action. Its anything BUT a chic car, Miata, maybe (and not anymore) but Boxster is one of the truest roadsters out there.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
dude, if you read the magazines motor trend, car & driver, and its been called one of the best sports cars for the $ ever since it came out.
Yup, in the Boxster S vs C6 Corvette comparison, the Boxster ranked second place as the best sports car for the money...

·
Take a Bite of My Burrito!
3,139 Posts

This coming from a guy that owned a Focus Sedan.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly. It definitely is not a chick car. I actually used to think that but the more I paid attention to them, the more I saw what they truly are.

I LOOOOOOOVE the Cayman, but I am nowhere near able to afford even a new base Boxter, let alone the Cayman. But I am able to get into one of the older Boxters, which I would still be totally happy with.

I just would be afraid to buy one without a good warranty (because I am considering stuff like the MkV GTi and Mini Cooper S, which would be new with warranties), so this Porsche Certified program caught my attention. I would love it if I could find a BMW M Coupe for under $26,000 with similar warranty from BMW but I am not sure if such a program exists.

·
White Elephant Husband
3,222 Posts
Whatever... Im sorry, Im not changing the way I feel..If you drive one, I will call you a chick, queer, whatever.

For 42k+ (when new in 2003) the car barely runs sub 15 sec 1/4 mile times, 0-60 in 6 seconds is nothing special, and hp and torque that matches a 20,000 Subaru.

I personally think the Cayman is pretty sharp looking. At least it offers 295hp, while the Boxster offers a ho-hum 225.

If they are the end all to inexspensive sports roadsters, why dont you all go and sell your current car, buy a used one for 25k and call it a day...

Like I said, they are for the guy who cant afford a REAL Porsche...

Im ready for the flaming,,,Oh, Im sorry this will be coming from flamers that want to drive Boxsters...LOL

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, if I bought that, it would be more about the handling than the power.

I'm just trying to find options available to me other than front-wheel drive cars, I am really itching to get into a more "classic" sports setup. I've never owned a mid-engined car, and haven't had a RWD car since my old RX-7 (and then I was too young to appreciate it), and this is just another option for me to look into.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Whatever... Im sorry, Im not changing the way I feel..If you drive one, I will call you a chick, queer, whatever.

For 42k+ the car barely runs sub 15 sec 1/4 mile times, 0-60 in 6 seconds is nothing special, and hp and torque that matches a 20,000 Subaru.

I personally think the Cayman is pretty sharp looking. At least it offers 295hp, while the Boxster offers a ho-hum 225.
Who gives a [censored] about 1/4 mile time in a P-car? There is more to driving than the drag strip.

·
White Elephant Husband
3,222 Posts
If you are worried about cost, you shouldnt be looking at a Porsche in the first place. Insurance, replacement parts, etc, are much higher then anything else in the range you are looking at.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Well, if I bought that, it would be more about the handling than the power.

I'm just trying to find options available to me other than front-wheel drive cars, I am really itching to get into a more "classic" sports setup. I've never owned a mid-engined car, and haven't had a RWD car since my old RX-7 (and then I was too young to appreciate it), and this is just another option for me to look into.
How about a Toyota MR-S?

·
White Elephant Husband
3,222 Posts

For 42k+ the car barely runs sub 15 sec 1/4 mile times, 0-60 in 6 seconds is nothing special, and hp and torque that matches a 20,000 Subaru.

Who gives a [censored] about 1/4 mile time in a P-car? There is more to driving than the drag strip.
Was I talking about the dragstrip? I mentioned more then just 1/4 mile times. If it doesnt matter why does EVERY MAJOR CAR MAGAZINE PUT 1/4 MILE TIME IN..

BTW a 2003 and older Boxster throws down a .91 g in the skid pad. Not bad. But what good does great handling do if you dont have power to back it up.

Not everyone wants to do slalom in the parking lot every weekend.

I cant believe how jaded you guys are about Porsche.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I couldn't care less if it was a Porsche or not. It is just that it is an amazingly well balanced machine.

The Boxster S (older generation) has 258hp, more than enough power to "back up" it's handling.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
You're just as far jaded in the other direction, what is the difference?

I drive a goddamn Focus... I don't see how a driving a Boxter could be MORE feminine.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.