Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are they serious. Ive seen these ads in my magazines about these things. Gtec makes one and nology makes some kind of software that you hook up to a pda and wallla a dyno and performance meter at your finger tips!! does anyone have one of these things. How accurate are they?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I don't know, but I just bought a PDA a few weeks and would defintiely like more info on this subject. If you go to Nology's website, you can download the PDA dyno manual and see how i works, but they don't list any prices or anything; I'm guessing the price is fairly high...

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
The gtech is fairly accurate from what I have heard. I know that there are a few jetters that have them.

·
Registered
944 Posts
the gtech is good for seeing a performance gain with mods. The hp figures you get from a g tech are really consistent even though they are a little bit high(at least in my cars case). being that they are consistent makes them pretty good tuning tools to use just to see how a mod helps, or hinders in some cases, when it comes to hp. i rarely did use mine for hp but when i did i got about 3 hp (without the nitrous, and 9hp with it)from adding a race header.

just my $.02

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
u have 2 look at the way it measures 1/4mi times. the et's r very accurate however they measure the trap spd as the spd u travelin at when u break the 1/4mi distance. whereas tracks have a trap, usually the last 100ft, where ur spd is a measured average thru the trap. so looking at your test results usually deduct 2-3mph off the top spd 2 c what ull prolly do at the track. granted the cleanliness of ur run can affect this as well.

-Ult

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
I'll be getting the nology PDA dyno very soon, and we'll see how that works out!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
i have a gtech, the first one. it works very well. i want to get the new one. i would be interested in selling the original one if some one want to buy it!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Anybody ever try to tune cam gears on a Gtech or whatever?

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
They major thing to remember here is all of these "portable" dynos require you to input your vehicle weight, which they use to compute the HP numbers. Therefore keep in mind these are going to be estimating the numbers, not really measuring them (like a DynoJet would).

But, assuming you keep using the same vehicle weight value, you should be able to use them to correctly determine gains. But obviously you can't use it to compare against Dynojet, or other people's dyno numbers.

On the plus side, if you want to impress someone, just increase the vehicle weight value and your HP measurements will go through the roof.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
The nology software is not just a GTECH device, but it is also a basic ODB scanner. It can pull basic codes, so not only does it give "fun" with the dyno's and times, but also some help in troubleshooting, by pulling codes!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts