Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is before i started

and this is the after

well worth it, cost very little and improves throttle response greatly. helps to hold me over till i get my mac tb.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here are some side by side shots of a normal tb and a ported one.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by zx3 focus racer:
wow that looks great. i would seriously pay money for someone to do that good of a job on my tb
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">it's easy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
how excactly do you port one of those??
I want to , but cant figure out how to make the TB hole bigger and increase the size of the plate inside????

·
Registered
222 Posts
Originally posted by red02zx3:
how excactly do you port one of those??
I want to , but cant figure out how to make the TB hole bigger and increase the size of the plate inside????
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You dont acctually increase the size of the plate at all. If you look at the TB (stock) pic you can see the bump/ indent on it, all you are doing is shaving that off to allow more air to flow with less restriction, the plate is round to start with. but you do have to epoxy the outside of the TB before you shave it.

I did this to mine 4 months ago and I love it, with a combination of the ported TB, rear seat removal, and stock 15's I bought for Drags I managed to shave a full second off my 1/4 mile time from stock. I now run 15.9-16.00 @85mph vs 16.9-17.1 @82 mph with noticeable Throttle response improvements. In my opinion It's worth the time it takes for a relatively stock motor, I dont know how it will work on a modded engine though, anyone try this??

·
Registered
412 Posts
i have what some would call a modded motor.and i did this about two weeks ago. and it did improve throttle response. im sure it helped out alot but with what i have its hard to tell by butt dyno.

mike

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here ya go jeremy. i know it looks ugly but after it set up for a while i dremeled the out side nice and smooth.

·
Registered
658 Posts
damn killer...enough epoxy LOL better safe than sorry. looks like my first one...and when i only hit like 1/4 inch of epoxy i was like WTF

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i just mixed both tubes together and used it all.

·
Banned
227 Posts
I might just do this....so like how much does a dremel cost and how much does another T/B cost incase I ****ed it up?

Umm, Focushacks is kinda messed up right now. Is there anywere else I can get some instructions?

[ 01-14-2003, 08:39 PM: Message edited by: Fastwonder ]

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Once you get your tb off, it's really pretty self explanitory. You can see that there's an hourglass shape on one side that you want to get rid of because the inside necks way down. But if you just go to grinding on the inside, you'll break thru to the outside, and that would not be good. So the epoxy works as backup material, so when you do break thru, it's not to the outside world, just into the epoxy. I used plastic "welding" epoxy that you can find at autozone, because it etches itself into the existing plastic. Last thing you want is your epoxy falling away and leaving that hole open. Since doing this mod, I've gone to the fc tb and it's still a night and day difference. hehe. But yeah, for $8 and a few hrs work, it's a great mod. Good luck, it's a lot easier than it appears. Later doods

g

·
Registered
128 Posts
ive been wanting to do this. can you port it with epoxy if you are careful?

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you will need the epoxy if you want it to be a perfect circle. i broke through and it was about 1/4 inch high and 1 1/2 inchs high.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was wanting to try this tonight,
my question is what kind of epoxy to use?

Thank you

·
Banned
227 Posts
I still dont see why you'll need epoxy for. From the pics, all you're doing is making that oval into a circle. So you're just cutting out excess plastic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts