Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I just searched through the last year of posts for info on porting the tb. Here is the info I culled, please confirm or deny this for me:

1) Porting the stock throttle body will help throttle response, specifically it will get rid of some but not all of the throttle hang between shifts.
2) A ported TB will still run fine in slow traffic driving as compared with a full aftermarket tb.
3) There is no power gain, see #1 for benefit
4) There may be a low end torque loss
5) Porting involved shaving down the ridges inside the TB as well as a lip below them. Epoxy should be applied prior to doing this because you will probably go through the outside wall.
6) Provided you have the time and the money to replace it if you mess up, this mod will improve the driveability of your car.

Does all that sound right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,434 Posts
Originally posted by ccfoo:
Hey all, I just searched through the last year of posts for info on porting the tb. Here is the info I culled, please confirm or deny this for me:

1) Porting the stock throttle body will help throttle response, specifically it will get rid of some but not all of the throttle hang between shifts.
2) A ported TB will still run fine in slow traffic driving as compared with a full aftermarket tb.
3) There is no power gain, see #1 for benefit
4) There may be a low end torque loss
5) Porting involved shaving down the ridges inside the TB as well as a lip below them. Epoxy should be applied prior to doing this because you will probably go through the outside wall.
6) Provided you have the time and the money to replace it if you mess up, this mod will improve the driveability of your car.

Does all that sound right?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1)Yes helps throttle response, i think engine braking increased also (but that's mostly a problem do to the hole that lets air through the TB all the time)
2)You get increased tip in...if you have a steady foot you wont notice a thing. IF you dont the car will surge.
3)There probably is like a really small power gain, but such a small amount you'd never know (just like the big bore TB's)
4)Doubtful, the air path doesnt change that much.
5)Yup pretty much
6)It will improve the throttle response, its not that big of a deal, but its free, and makes a nice change in the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,434 Posts
Here's some pics of when I did it the other day.






 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
$ 4 $ it has to be the best mod for the buck if you have an '00 or '01 foci.
Doesn't hurt that it is almost free, but still it is a great mod!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
i just did it to my t-body the other day. It definetly changes the throughtle respons
 

·
Driver > Car
Joined
·
23,988 Posts
just be sure when you do it to make sure the butterfly moves freely. when you have it out might as well take some cleaner and clean the butterfly so it doesn't stick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by zetecwagon:
$ 4 $ it has to be the best mod for the buck if you have an '00 or '01 foci.
Doesn't hurt that it is almost free, but still it is a great mod!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm sure I saw those ridges on mine when I did the CAI. I have a 2002 zx5. Am I mistaken?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also:
Which dremel bit is used to port it? Should it be sanded or polished afterward to make it smooth?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
321 Posts
I feel that it is like unwrapping a candy before eating it...

'00 and '01 Foci's come wrapped (TB wise) and if you really want to taste them, you gotto unwrap them....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
The ridges are not a big deal, the problem is that half of the bore is round and the other half is semi-elliptical. The elliptical part blocks the air from getting to the butterfly. I think Ford fixed this on the '02 Foci.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,434 Posts
Originally posted by zetecwagon:
The ridges are not a big deal, the problem is that half of the bore is round and the other half is semi-elliptical. The elliptical part blocks the air from getting to the butterfly. I think Ford fixed this on the '02 Foci.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Nope as you can see in my pictures they didn't I have a very late model '02 with the new shifter and (it had the less restrictive exhaust). Unfortuneately it didn't have the 2003 Throttle body which doesn't need to be ported.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,434 Posts
Originally posted by mattndew676:
that is one filthy engine.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's what the winter rallying does to it.
Oh well, i'll steam clean it come summertime. I hate maine weather.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top