Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a ported throttle body. Upon installation i could tell the improvement right off the bat, but that wasn't all i could tell. My idle shot up to about 2,000RPM and would come back down to about 1,100 after about 5-10 seconds (900 being normal idle); well that was when the tach wasnt bouncing from about 1,300-2,000rpm not to mention while taking it out of gear it really dragged coming back down to idle at the extent of my car barely slowing down while down shifting. Also after driving about 7-8miles the check engine light came on and the car shuddered a little too. My car sounded different when i turned it off which i thought was strange. I made sure everything was connected properly, the TB was securly tightend down I double checked that. I even disconnected the battery for an hour to let the computer reset itself. When I reinstalled the non Ported TB the car went back to working as it normally did. I thought that maybe the problem could of been a bad wire or sensor, I think its called the throttle position sensor. So i even switched them out. I took the one off the Ported TB and put it on the non ported one. The non ported one still worked fine when i tested it out. I really have no idea what the problem is. My friends theory is that the car might be getting too much air due to the port. I have a CAI and I have a predator tune. I am really at my last rope in trouble shooting what could be wrong, i really liked the gain i felt b/c it really broke the wheels loose while shifting into 2nd which was great lol. Also the numbers match up on both throttle Bodies the one i got is an SVT one the numbers were all the same, they were identical looking too. If anyone can help me trouble shoot this i would be much obliged.

-Nick

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I take it you didn't port it yourslef. I would suspect a vacuum leak, probably were it gets epoxied. I'd look there and see if it looks funky or anything.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea i didnt do it myself, i had it done to try to avoid these problems lol. That is a good idea i will look into vacuum leaks tomorrow and hopefully that will be the case. Thanks

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Did you transfer the gasket form the old TB to the new TB?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You have to reset your ECU - disconnect your battery for 30 seconds - since you have removed or replaced your TPS (throttle position sensor). Otherwise it will take about a week for the ECU to replace the old data. The ECU uses learned throttle positions for setting rpms in various modes. Anytime you remove or replace the TPS it has to learn where the new position is. I had the same problems when I ported mine. Reset the ECU, drive it for a couple days and all will be well - most likely!

·
Registered
133 Posts
they could have taken too much off when they grinded down the bump in the tb, and air is getting past the butterfly even when closed.

·
Registered
721 Posts
think this is why I am just going to buy an aftermarket vs. porting the stock. sorry to hear about your troubles.

·
Registered
686 Posts
i also suspect an air leak somewhere, as everyone else had said it could be a leak with the epoxy or the green colored gasket.

·
Registered
10,601 Posts
think this is why I am just going to buy an aftermarket vs. porting the stock. sorry to hear about your troubles.
The porting works really good and is easy to do. Not to mention it will save you some serious cash. If you don't want to do it yourself there is a company on the jet that is going to start doing them for a good price. I say it is well worth the money!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am pretty sure that the problem is with the butterflies allowing too much air in. I am going to send it back to where It was done and hopefully the problem can be corrected, but that is pretty much all I can do now.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I am pretty sure that the problem is with the butterflies allowing too much air in. I am going to send it back to where It was done and hopefully the problem can be corrected, but that is pretty much all I can do now.
If the butterfly is open too much, adjust the idle screw. It has a plug over the screw head that has to be removed first. It's worth a shot. Also, are you transferring the gasket from the old TB to the new one? The new one won't have a gasket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts