Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
porting a 2000 intake mani and install opinions

I now have an early 2000 intake manifold
. Does anyone with pictures or tips on what to port? Also on the install, I found Eggyolks great how-to, but i was wondering if anyone has had a shop do it and how much it cost? I am noob at this car stuff and after actually seeing the part I don't know If a want to attempt the install...

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: porting a 2000 intake mani and install opinions

If this would be you're first automotive install, I would definately have someone else do it. Why do you go to your area forum and see if there's a G2G in the works? I know in CFL, pretty much every G2G we have is to hang out and put parts on. Try asking if someone would help you out with the install. Its a lot of fun and its the best way to learn your way around the Zetec - that's how I did it.
I would say if you had to get this installed by a mechanic, they would charge you maybe 2 hours of labor. I think the going rate for labor is about $50-70/hr. So as you can see, if you can find someone on the Jet to help you, you save lots of $$$$$.
As for porting, you're going to port the ends of all the runners. Best tool is a Dermel. What you want to do it port the bottom half to till you get comfortablly close to that green o-ring. Porting the top half doesn't do anything because that lip in the top part of the runner is for the fuel injector, so that would be retarded. Is you have a 65mm TB (or 70mm), your also going to need to port the top on the manifold so you won't have any interference with your butterfly and it will just make it flow better since your matching diameters a little better.

Glad the article helped - thats what its there for.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

I did the swap yesterday and it wausnt really that hard. I didnt remove or loosen the alternater. Just take the studs out with a 5mm socket and it will lift on out. Took me about 3 hours to do and a lunch break. Decent gains downlow, definatly worth the money!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts

Glad to hear you didn't have a problem with the studs - I sure did

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

Yea your car was a pain in the ass! Damm alternater isnt a day in the park!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts

i can help you smoke.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

i can help you smoke.
Great!! I'm sending you a PM right now

The one I got also has the injectors and stuff attached to it, should I just remove that stuff and and go with whats already in my car? Supposedly the unit only has 1500 miles on it...

·
Registered
3,760 Posts

I got the part number for the 2000 intake manifold off another search but when my guy at the Ford store checked on it the part number is the same as the 2001. Did they discontinue this all together or is there a different number out there??? Any help would be appreciated. I did use the search button also.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts

I got the part number for the 2000 intake manifold off another search but when my guy at the Ford store checked on it the part number is the same as the 2001. Did they discontinue this all together or is there a different number out there??? Any help would be appreciated. I did use the search button also.
the early 2000 manifold is very different from the later 2000 on.

early 2000:

the later version is much more restrictive. i just did this swap and the power increase is very noticeable. the pull from 2000rpm all the way to 6000 showed a definite improvement.

Nate

PS: if you ever get down to the baltimore area CTZX3 sells and installs these. shoot him a PM

·
Registered
193 Posts

If anyone is interested in buying a new 2000 intake manifold, here's the link. New 2000 intake manifold
Select 2000 FORD FOCUS then use the keyword of INTAKE MANIFOLD
i have a few questions myself. this link shows two manifolds to choose from...which is the one i want for performance? also, just to clarify, after purchasing an early 2000 intake manifold, it must be ported for gains, correct? i've done a search, but cannot find what these gains would be. anyone have numbers?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts

the rumored gains are up to 5whp. I dunno that anyone has dyno'd before and after with only the intake mani.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts