Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy on the base just put soem adj cam gears on his foucs and when he took it for a drive he ran it for a few miles and then it lost power and just stopped. I happened to be drivign by and stopped and discovered that his exhaust cam gear bolts had cam out. All of them!!! I hd sopem spares at the house so I gave them to him so he could get home and he took a look at it. He reset the timing and the went to start it up and it was dragging very badly and idled rough. The exhaust was also louder and seemed to have a pulsing sound coming from it. I told him that I thik he had either a bent valve or the timing was off again. What do you guys think? COuld the timing be off still? If it was why would the exhaust get louder? By the way he also has a vibrant with a kamakazi header. I dotn have time to go look at it until the weekend and he needs to get the car running asap. He doesnt have computer so he cant get on here. Anything I can suggest to him besides reset the timing?Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
sounds to me like a bent valve if only because he threw the timing out while it was running.Think about it....when the timing belt goes and the car is running , it could and does throw the pistons into the valves.Now , if it let the timing go on ONE of the cams......that would destroy the timing for either the exhaust or intake side(depending on what side the gear was on).....thus resulting in the piston slapping the valves.I could be wrong on this , as I am NOT an expert mechanic , but Im on the sure side! Anyone else????

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Yes it is a non interference motor, I woild think he's just got his timing way out of whack. Just have him get back at TDC, loosen the cam gears, lock the cam's into place, reset his cam gears to "0", re-seat his tensioner, re-torque his cam gear bolts and fire it up..... good luck

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just alked to him and he informed me that he had the head milled to raise the compresssion by one some shop up in germany. I dont think that its really high but I am going to reset his timing and see what happens. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Guys This may seem very simple but how you guys getting TDC. I found no mark on the case etc just used the principle that the piston is at top and both number one valves closed on the compression stroke.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went a took a look at the guys car today and it wasnt knocking or ticking or anything but it did sound almost liek a lawn mower. Has a really bad pulse in the exhaust. We turned over the engine by hand to listen to the valves to see if we could hear a tickign or any contact nothing. We then reset the timing and the car stil ran badly and the cel was flashing!! I have never seen anything like it. I suggested a compression test to get a better idea. Anyway he said the compression on his mille dhead is eqivalent to my FC stage 2. He said he got the specs from somewhere on the net and the place in germany did the work. I am dumb founded as to what th eproblem is

·
Registered
158 Posts
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
Actually I was driving my cams in 180 degrees off for like 5 days, (installation by someone who I shall not speak of).

After realigning my cams, they were fine.... so i would say Non-interferance..

Saleen, what mods are you running?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">custom head w/ oversized SS valves (stock compression)
crower cams - stage 3 intake, stage 2 exhaust

fc cam gears, new fc race header, new fc tb, maf, FS udp, fc ported intake manifold, FS intake, FS engine mount, FS quiet exhaust, diablo.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by Saleen317:
custom head w/ oversized SS valves (stock compression)
crower cams - stage 3 intake, stage 2 exhaust

fc cam gears, new fc race header, new fc tb, maf, FS udp, fc ported intake manifold, FS intake, FS engine mount, FS quiet exhaust, diablo.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">hmm... did you have the same mods when you bent the valves?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
yep. why? what are you thinking?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Stage 3 + custom head + custom valves

might have made interference

but in any case, bending valves sUCKS

·
Registered
158 Posts
actually, i think you're right. If i remember correctly it was all 8 intake valves that were bent. All the exhaust ones were fine.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi Guys This may seem very simple but how you guys getting TDC. I found no mark on the case etc just used the principle that the piston is at top and both number one valves closed on the compression stroke.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Pull the spark plug out and use a long screwdriver and stick that in the hole. When it stops moving up, that's TDC.

·
Registered
158 Posts
sorry to burst your bubble guys, but a couple months ago, the bolt to my idler pully broke. The cam belt siezed up, i lost all power on the toll road, and it wouldn't start back up.

the results:

8 of the 16 valves were bent. I needed to get a valve job.

I had numerous people telling me it was impossible because "it's a non-interference engine" but i still had bent valves.

I would definitely check into it if I were you.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
sorry to burst your bubble guys, but a couple months ago, the bolt to my idler pully broke. The cam belt siezed up, i lost all power on the toll road, and it wouldn't start back up.

the results:

8 of the 16 valves were bent. I needed to get a valve job.

I had numerous people telling me it was impossible because "it's a non-interference engine" but i still had bent valves.

I would definitely check into it if I were you.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Actually I was driving my cams in 180 degrees off for like 5 days, (installation by someone who I shall not speak of).

After realigning my cams, they were fine.... so i would say Non-interferance..

Saleen, what mods are you running?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts